• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mistreated by Erisa Law?

Nielk

I found that through my experience with group LTD insurance, governed by the erisa laws,
every step is stacked against me and for the insurance company.

They can basically play around with you as they wish and canot be penalized by the courts at all!

Why should they ever approve a claim? They have nothing to lose by denials.

I cannot believe that this is ethical.

Does anyonw have experiences ith this?

Do you have any advise?

Can we band together to try to fight this?

Nielk:Sign Please::Sign Please:

markmc20001

yeppers.

I found that through my experience with group LTD insurance, governed by the erisa laws,
every step is stacked against me and for the insurance company.

They can basically play around with you as they wish and canot be penalized by the courts at all!

Why should they ever approve a claim? They have nothing to lose by denials.

I cannot believe that this is ethical.

Does anyonw have experiences ith this?

Do you have any advise?

Can we band together to try to fight this?

Nielk:Sign Please::Sign Please:

I think Barack Obamam tired to get a "neutral, and non-partisan" review panel thru with helath care reform legislation. However, I have no idea if it got thru with the final law. The idea being that the insurance comapny wouldn't be allowed to decide if YOU remain on THEIR payroll.

However, I called my congressman about this and they basically said write a letter to your insurance regulatory agency. I actually spoke with an assitant.

All I can say is just keep senders letters and sharing your experience. Someday somebody will do something!

You can write your story to this website, and ambe some agressive atty will fie a classaction.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/insurance/hartford_dis.html

My advice is do your best to fight them, but don;t let it kill you.

I might just sell some shirts and movies to get the word out, if I had the energy!

lululowry

mezombie

Your complaint, Neilk, is not a new one. The insurance industry is very powerful, and they have tons of lobbyists that influence any attempts to change ERISA.

You might be interested in knowing that the CFIDS Association and WECAN (a now defunt online ME/CFS advocacy group) took advantage of former President Clinton's health care reform measures by commenting on proposed new ERISA regulations in 1998. The Department of Labor received 700 comments, many of which came from people with ME/CFS. The proposals focused on the way claims for benefits were handled.

In January of 2001, the new claims procedure regulations were published. They included specific directions for disability claims. Changes from the previous regulations include the requirement that medical advice from someone familiar with the disabling condition be sought and disclosure of the names of all consultants as well as any internal documents on request. These were some of the requests made by PWME.

The first couple of pages of this summary explain some of the changes made.