• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mildew versus Mold?

hunter1899

I tested positive for three mold toxins. But what about mildew? In fact what is the difference between the two? We have a deep covered porch that doesn't get a lot of sun and some of our pillows, swing, and rocking chairs have black spots on them. Is this mold or mildew? Is it doing real harm?

Mildew is white, and not very harmful. Black spots are mold, which can be much more harmful.

I don't really know what the difference is between them, other than that I've been in a house with mildew and done much better than a moldy house.

What matters most is if it is impacting you. Mildew is a type of mold that grows on surfaces. The term refers to a variety of different molds.

When mold avoiders talk about mold as a cause, they are usually using mold as short hand for any number of things that could be triggering reactions. If you think the mildew is potentially an issue it's worth trying to get rid of it and trying to see if it is doing harm.