• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Michael VanElzakker, PhD

JAH

I know Dr. Michael VanElzakker is not an MD, but does anyone know if he sees or consults with patients?

his vagus nerve theory fits my symptoms exactly.

Thanks

Gemini

I know Dr. Michael VanElzakker is not an MD, but does anyone know if he sees or consults with patients? his vagus nerve theory fits my symptoms exactly.
Don't know the answer to your question, however he has expressed interest in seeing patient's MRI's.

He's the featured speaker at the Massachusetts ME/CFS Assn. Annual Meeting Oct 26, 2019 from 1-4 PM at Newton-Wellesley Hospital.

I see you're on the West Coast but perhaps someone who attends that meeting can give you more information.

JAH

Thanks, I am going to be in Boston in October, so I was thinking of talking with him if possible.
Not up to going to the ME/CFS meeting, unfortunately.

JAH

SlamDancin

His work is incredibly interesting to me as well.

In one of his last public presentations he said the “Neuroinflammation” resembled hypoxia in its delayed nature.

Vagus nerve/hypoxia and some new research shows exosomes are crucial parts of the illness. I think oxygen extraction, which doesn’t necessarily need a structural CCI type problem to occur, is the mechanism of action of this illness however it can happen in a million ways.

Dr Moureau apparently (haven’t watched his presentation yet) has identified four subgroups which probably include subgroups of their own.

I follow the VanElakkazer (sp?) on twitter and he posts some interesting stuff (although I wish he wouldn’t use the same account to post about geopolitical issues but it’s not unbearable).