• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation Panel results do not look good?

sometexan84

So I guess this isn't very good then?

I haven't started looking into what this means for me yet. If anyone is familiar with Methylation Panel results, assistance would be greatly appreciated!

1607624957498.png

1607624977996.png

1607624993565.png

1607625008543.png

1607625064303.png

1607625075204.png

sometexan84

What I've learned so far...

The "Methylation Index" is probably the most important. My very low SAM/SAH ratio indicates limited capacity for methylation (I believe this is called “hypomethylation”). Or "under-methylation".

As for some of the individual metrics....

High S-Adenosylhomocysteine (SAH)

• Increased levels results in increased oxidative stress, and may contribute to vascular disease, renal disease
Somewhat Low S-adenosylmethionine (SAM)

• Could be low because Methionine is low
Somewhat Low Methionine

• Gastrointestinal dysfunction
Somewhat High Cysteine

• Results in increased oxidative stress
Haven't found out what my other abnormal levels might indicate yet.

I also learned that often a low SAM can be the result of low Methionine. My results appear to reflect this. And that if you're supplementing for this, take more Methionine than SAM (according to what I've read).

1609296881030.png

Regarding Hypomethylation and ME/CFS

A 2018 article suggests that my "limited capacity for methylation" is spot-on w/ ME/CFS

"Data from the microarray-based genome-wide methylation analysis of the experimental cohort showed hypomethylation of the differentially methylated sites (DMS) (98%) in PBMCs from ME/CFS cases compared to controls."

I've also seen some connections here with immune dysregulation. For instance, DNA methylation regulates T cell perforin gene expression.

I'm not sure if low intracellular perforin in ME/CFS has been proven yet. But low cytotoxicity of NK and Cytotoxic T-cells (CD8+) has for sure been proven in ME/CFS. Perforin expression is key for cytotoxicity. Cytotoxicity is key for an effective immune response to infection.

There are more implications. I just haven't looked into this enough yet. Obviously, there's the tie-in w/ Rich Van Konynenburg's Methylation cycle hypothesis, which sounds less silly to me these days.

And yes, I am looking into how this ties in with my autoimmune theories. Haven't looked into this much yet, but I do believe autoimmunity is involved in this. In fact I've already made note of the following suspects: anti-citrullinated protein antibodies, anti-chromatin, and anti-C1q antibodies (<<<< this is from EBV btw)

Last edited: