• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylated B-vitamins exacerbating autoimmune symptoms?

Methyl-folate, P5P, methyl-b12 are the only thing that helps with my fatigue, depression, and cognitive functioning. Unfortunately they seem to increase my autoimmune symptoms (ankylosing spondylitis). Any ideas why this is?

hb8847

I get the same. My understanding is it's to do with the healing which methylation induces. You'll be rebuilding cells, replacing old ones, and generally repairing the body, all of which can trigger inflammation particularly if the body doesn't have the requisite nutrients needed to properly carry out those processes.

It's partly why all the methylation guides advice you to make sure you're getting the necessary cofactors before starting with B12 and Folate (eg, other vitamins, particularly the Bs (so B1, B2 etc), minerals like potassium and magnesium). Glutathione is also important for detoxification but some people question whether this is beneficial to take.

Also you might want to try reducing the dose and seeing if that helps. It's clear you're benefitting from these supplements, but listen to your body - if you're getting inflammation it's possible you're going too fast right now.

http://mthfr.net/preventing-methylfolate-side-effects/2014/11/26/

ljimbo423

Methyl-folate, P5P, methyl-b12 are the only thing that helps with my fatigue, depression, and cognitive functioning. Unfortunately they seem to increase my autoimmune symptoms (ankylosing spondylitis). Any ideas why this is?

Increasing methylation also increases the bodies process of detoxification in the liver. This will lower the level of toxins in your blood, which will allow new toxins to be released from other cells in your body.

This can cause an increase in inflammation, brain fog, flu-like symptoms, diarrhea, etc. When I first started improving my methylation, I got very sick from removing toxins too fast.

This is a quote from a doctor that specializes in the liver-

Methylation is a primary method of removing toxins in the phase 2 liver detoxification process. Methylation converts toxins of all kinds from insoluble or fat-soluble compounds into water-soluble compounds.

Once these toxins are made water soluble they can then be easily eliminated from the body via watery fluids such as the urine, sweat and bile. If this does not occur, these toxins cannot be eliminated and they will build up in the body.
Link to source

Gingergrrl

I don't know if this pertains to your situation but I also have autoimmune disease but cannot tolerate Methyl B12 or Methylfolate at any dose (and tried many different brands & doses for several years w/more than one doctor). I had horrific over-methylation reactions to even a toothpick dose.

It was ultimately determined by my doctors that it was better for me NOT to try to open up the Methyl pathway BUT that I still needed B12 & Folate b/c my blood tests were consistently so low on both and homocysteine was high.

I finally found a version by "Seeking Health" of Hydroxo B12 with Folinic Acid (not Folic but Folinic) and this worked great for me. I had no side effects and it brought my B12, Folate & homocysteine levels to normal ranges and they have stayed there. I do not know exactly how it relates to my autoimmunity?

I don't know if this pertains to your situation but I also have autoimmune disease but cannot tolerate Methyl B12 or Methylfolate at any dose (and tried many different brands & doses for several years w/more than one doctor). I had horrific over-methylation reactions to even a toothpick dose.

It was ultimately determined by my doctors that it was better for me NOT to try to open up the Methyl pathway BUT that I still needed B12 & Folate b/c my blood tests were consistently so low on both and homocysteine was high.

I finally found a version by "Seeking Health" of Hydroxo B12 with Folinic Acid (not Folic but Folinic) and this worked great for me. I had no side effects and it brought my B12, Folate & homocysteine levels to normal ranges and they have stayed there. I do not know exactly how it relates to my autoimmunity?
unfortunately folinic acid and hydroxo b12 make me lethargic and depressed. Maybe I need extra SAM-E with it to work?

I think I figured something out. I took some hydroxyb12 and it helped a lot. At first it made me feel weird but then combined with little doses of all the other b-vitamins (except b6), the gears started turning.

Previously I was just taking methyl-b12, which makes me feel alert. I always avoided hydroxy because of the lehargic/foggy feeling it gave, but b1/b2/b3 added got rid of that feeling and made me feel normal. Maybe I was deficient in adenosyl-b12. Either that or the nitric oxide reducing effects of hydroxyb12 helped my inflammation.

I noticed that the stickied protocols don't mention P5P.

Last edited: