• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metabolism / weight loss

Emmarose47

Hi not sure if this should be in adrenals ?
Since having more severe m.e CFS and being housebound I've struggled to maintain weight .
My food intake is as much as it was when I was running around as a nurse , hiking cycling etc .

Can anyone shed any light ?

Rufous McKinney

For several years, I seemed to just lose weight no matter what I ate, and I got far too thin, altho the doctor thinks its great.

so now I"ve put on some more pounds, look less awful, but my pants don't fit.

Mad about that.

I know if I cut back on carbs and night, I can shed some pounds..but I have to "want to".......

Pendergast

Spain
For several years, I seemed to just lose weight no matter what I ate, and I got far too thin, altho the doctor thinks its great.

so now I"ve put on some more pounds, look less awful, but my pants don't fit.

Mad about that.

I know if I cut back on carbs and night, I can shed some pounds..but I have to "want to".......

Exactly the same here... :rofl:

@Emmarose47 some meds can help to gain weight (Mirtazapine for example)

Wishful

I posted a link earlier about communication between the brain and fat cells. If ME is messing up that communication, it could cause fat to not get stored, no matter what your caloric intake is. The research did not give any methods for adjusting the 'fat storage' setting.

Rufous McKinney

f ME is messing up that communication, it could cause fat to not get stored, no matter what your caloric intake is.

there is the reported Subcutaneous Fat Loss issue...

I have identified this as MORE tied to loss of collagen and connective tissue holding all that together, the protein part of the PADDING tissue of our bodies.

that part has been damaged, so we "appear" to have lost subcutaneous fat...

But we have lost the "structure" thats holding the fat bundles together...

in my case, my fingertips are collapsed, the padding on my hand/can't deploy a can opener...same on the feet, can't walk barefoot on the hard floor. Oww.

Pieces of anatomy with more connective tissue- suffer.

LINE

Hi not sure if this should be in adrenals ?
Since having more severe m.e CFS and being housebound I've struggled to maintain weight .
My food intake is as much as it was when I was running around as a nurse , hiking cycling etc .

Can anyone shed any light ?

Could be the microbiota or the sign of infection in the gut.

Emmarose47

there is the reported Subcutaneous Fat Loss issue...

I have identified this as MORE tied to loss of collagen and connective tissue holding all that together, the protein part of the PADDING tissue of our bodies.

that part has been damaged, so we "appear" to have lost subcutaneous fat...

But we have lost the "structure" thats holding the fat bundles together...

in my case, my fingertips are collapsed, the padding on my hand/can't deploy a can opener...same on the feet, can't walk barefoot on the hard floor. Oww.

Pieces of anatomy with more connective

Good point and one I have thought of ....muscle weighs heavier than fat and I've dec lost muscle although not as bad as it could be ..
I've started taking Silica liquid renowned to be v good source for collagen bones etc

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I don't have the wt loss mecfs I have the get fat mecfs. From what I can gather there's not many of us that are normal wt, we ate either under or over wt.
I have noticed the people who are under wt their cfs started with some sort of gastro infection maybe enteroviruses. Herpes sub group seem to be the most common to put wt on.

2 hormones they have found dysregulated in mecfs is leptin which is important in maintaining a healthy wt range. One researcher I recall said out of all the testing hehas done, leptin was always out of whack.

The other hormone that can cause wt gain or lack of the hormone from not getting deep stage 4 sleep is growth hormone. You can almost bet your house on it that if you sleep poorly you probably have lower growth hormone than you should. It has several roles in the body from fatloss to general muscular recovery, bone health, ligament and tendon health. Fibro pts commonly have low growth hormone.

There's are other hormones as well but I believe these 2 are the most commonly dysfunctional in mecfs.

Growth hormone therapy is very expensive and I don't think there is a commercial market for leptin, although improving insulin sensitivity can improve leptin sensitivity. GH and leptin also probably work off each other.

Wishful

I don't have the wt loss mecfs I have the get fat mecfs. From what I can gather there's not many of us that are normal wt, we ate either under or over wt.

I hadn't been aware of that. I'd had a stable, average weight (180 lbs) until just before my ME developed. Then I noticed a rapid gain in weight (10 lbs), so I cut back on the amount of food in each meal, and dropped back to my previous weight. Then it started rising rapidly again, and then ME hit. I managed to drop to 130 at one point from extreme diet control, but eventually stabilized at 170. I'm guessing I'd be overweight quickly if I returned to my pre-ME food intake.

heapsreal

I hadn't been aware of that. I'd had a stable, average weight (180 lbs) until just before my ME developed. Then I noticed a rapid gain in weight (10 lbs), so I cut back on the amount of food in each meal, and dropped back to my previous weight. Then it started rising rapidly again, and then ME hit. I managed to drop to 130 at one point from extreme diet control, but eventually stabilized at 170. I'm guessing I'd be overweight quickly if I returned to my pre-ME food intake.

I think the hormones are definitely a factor but I know with me that my activity level dropped like a stone and several meds that have helped me with sleep and pain have put wt on me and make it hard to lose the wt. I'm the same as in I have to be very strict with my diet which adds so long and then the wt comes back quickly.
Drs etc say to eat less but I think for many of us we probably eating less than our pre cfs wt and there's other factors besides calories in and calories out.

Wishful

and there's other factors besides calories in and calories out.

Definitely. I posted a couple of new discoveries on how the brain and fat cells communicate, and how timing of meals matters. I'm sure there are more still-undiscovered factors that determine weight. I do wonder: do the feces of people who lose weight unexpectedly contain more unabsorbed calories? If it's not coming out as heat, it must come out as chemical energy.

heapsreal

Definitely. I posted a couple of new discoveries on how the brain and fat cells communicate, and how timing of meals matters. I'm sure there are more still-undiscovered factors that determine weight. I do wonder: do the feces of people who lose weight unexpectedly contain more unabsorbed calories? If it's not coming out as heat, it must come out as chemical energy.

The couple of people I know who were cfsers under wt did have symptoms of diarrhoea.