• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Memory … short term and longer term

Ok … wee bit of panic and I prefer to quickly know the truth. I’m 57 had ME since 2006 and am medium to severe, powerchair for mobility mostly outside, always feel horribly sick. Not often out and rarely meeting up with friends.

My recent concern is dementia and Alzheimer’s… my husband today mentioned his sisters coming to our home 2 months ago and I have zero recollection, even now a few hours later. This is far from an isolated incident and becoming more and more common.

Im going to look at some online tests for dementia … but wondering if others memories arE badly affected. It’d sort of help to know.

thx

sally

Springbok1988

I’m 34 and my memory is awful, now. Sometimes it’s worse than others. There are times that I can’t remember the names of my friends, family members, or even my dog. Sometimes I won’t be able to follow the plot of a TV show because I’ll forget what had just happened. From time to time, someone will tell me something important and I will have no recollection of it. I often have trouble speaking because I won’t be able to come up with the words I want to use.

perchance dreamer

For short-term memory, I found the Longvida form of curcumin very helpful although it took many weeks to see the effect.

You might want to look at Vielight products for brain stimulation, the Gamma product, in particular. Their web site is a great source of information for cognitive improvement. Good luck!

Rufous McKinney

but wondering if others memories arE badly affected. It’d sort of help to know.

Yes I have alot of this. Like right now completing a sentence is not a good idea.

Maybe an hour later, than task might be fine.

I doubt I would ever want to take any of those tests. I think it would provide me with an inaccurate picture of what feels like a VERY complex mess going on in the brain.

tests about dementia (a term that should be abandoned) or Alzheimers, would not get at whats going on with our version of brain challenge.

Rufous McKinney

I was recalling (hah) this Netflix Series I was really enjoying...and how it takes forever for a new seasons to show up. Its like you almost forget the whole rest of the show- what with waiting 2 years or more for Season "4".

When I decided to watch it again, I discovered that the first two years I could remember all kinds of details and oh what would happen next. Then I rewatched: Season 3. Somewhere in between those two Seasons, my ME CFS got much worse and the cognitive challenges increased dramatically. My recall of Season 3 was pathetic.

Wow.

Oh gosh: its right THERE. Captured forever in Netflix.

lenora

@Rufous McKinney.....I'd say what you experience with different seasons of a show is fairly common. We both have the same situation here.....and it's cleared up a few minutes into the season.

Rod does keep a list of the movieI'lquickly change my mind. Yours, Lenora

lenora

@Rufous McKinney.....I'd say what you experience with different seasons of a show is fairly common. We both have the same situation here.....and it's cleared up a few minutes into the season.

Rod does keep a list of the movieI'lquickly change my mind. Yours, Lenora
The above sentence ended up totally messed up.

Rod does keep a list of the movies we've seen, along with the date. A few minutes into the latest season will often give us a memory push and we're just fine. Yours, Lenora

Rufous McKinney

My recall of Season 3 was pathetic.

my point was recall of a more recent season was far worse than recall from further in the past when I was far less sick.

I went from mild in March 2018 to WAY WAY WAY WORSE six months later July 2018.

Similar in Oaxaca. The trip in Feb 2018 I had any number of "nice times' managing somehow. Then when we came back for three months 2019 I was crashed for the entire three months.

so its a very very real drop in my otherwise rather capable memory banks,

brenda

I am experimenting with magnesium l-threonate to see if it works on improving my cognitive function as reported. A bit of improvement in mood so far on half dose up till now. In the past I was using sage tea which is supposed to help. I have sage extract to try next.

A big improvement came these last three months in my new flat which I believe is far less toxic than the last one, notably without the laminate flooring and mold. All of the expense in painting the concrete floors with safe paint instead, was worth it. I am not struggling for words anymore when talking to someone and am thinking much more clearly. Solving problems better too. B vitamins are important for brain function. I take extra thiamine HLC and b2 with unmodified nutritional yeast.

GreenEdge

Last edited: