• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medical Medium - celery juice

Has anyone attempted following the Medical Medium (Anthony William) protocols, involving large amounts of celery juice, Heavy Metal Detox smoothies, etc?

I realize this isn't actual MEDICAL advice, so that's why I'm posting in the alternative therapies section.

I tried drinking celery juice every morning for about 2 months straight. The issue was, at day 22, I started breaking out in burning rashes. They were very uncomfortable. It was so strange that it took 22 days, though. But once they started, I had them daily, and I know it was from the juice because if I stopped the juice for a few days, the rashes would stop. His loyal community informed me that the rashes indicate that I am highly toxic, and the way to fix this is to lower the quantity I'm drinking by a lot, and very slowly work my way back up (I was drinking 18 - 35 oz every morning). I started lowering the quantity to around 7-8 oz, and still get burning rashes!

I will say though, now that I've basically stopped the juice completely, I'm feeling worse. That could be due to some other factors, but I've been having an extremely tough past couple weeks, so just this morning I drank 5oz of juice - going to give it another attempt...

I also do the smoothie, and try to eat a lot of fruits & veggies & stay away from all of his "no" foods (mostly dairy, gluten, eggs, oils etc).

Just curious if anyone has tried to involve his protocols in their healing process. It's encouraging to see how many people he's healed. (And then a bit discouraging at the same time to feel like I don't get any response at all).

sunshine44

Que sera sera
soooo sorry. This celery juice protocol in 2016/2017 is how i ended up SO severe (multiple reasons but a huge one nonetheless). Stopping eggs and lowering fats almost did me in...literally. Bedridden fully since 2018 now.

My current practioner is treating many of these MM celery juice cases and she said its so heartbreaking and the suffering so unecessary. I am sure he means well but i feel his protocol has wounded more than a few of us. I know my practioner was going to do a youtube video on why this is diminishing some peoples health. If i can find it i will share here :)

You did a good job listening to your intuition. Wishing you the best of health and recovery.

soooo sorry. This celery juice protocol in 2016/2017 is how i ended up SO severe (multiple reasons but a huge one nonetheless). Stopping eggs and lowering fats almost did me in...literally. Bedridden fully since 2018 now.

My current practioner is treating many of these MM celery juice cases and she said its so heartbreaking and the suffering so unecessary. I am sure he means well but i feel his protocol has wounded more than a few of us. I know my practioner was going to do a youtube video on why this is diminishing some peoples health. If i can find it i will share here :)

You did a good job listening to your intuition. Wishing you the best of health and recovery.

That is so terribly sad! I am so sorry. How long did you drink the juice? I would love to hear a little more about your experience, if you don’t mind sharing. If you don’t want to talk about it, I definitely understand that too. It probably sucks to think about it.

I will certainly continue to give up the celery juice for now.

May I ask who your practitioner is? I’m currently looking for someone new to work with that is more interested in understanding CFS.

andyguitar

I tried drinking celery juice every morning for about 2 months straight. The issue was, at day 22, I started breaking out in burning rashes. They were very uncomfortable. It was so strange that it took 22 days, though. But once they started, I had them daily, and I know it was from the juice because if I stopped the juice for a few days, the rashes would stop.
Ah, sounds like you might be getting what is called "photosensitivity" from the celery. Which means it is causing your skin to become over sensitive to sunlight- hence the rash. Bit different to an allergy. But you might be getting that to.

Mouse girl

If you are sensitive to celery it could take awhile for it to cause a rash.

From experience, i would say, anyone who says you are getting sick due to being "toxic" is a HUGE RED FLAG. You have to be careful with ME, we are sensitive to all sorts of things.

Be careful. I know you want to get well and will do anything to achieve that. I know, been there, done that. I also made myself sick by sticking to protocols that didn't work for me for too long. Just do what you feel is best for you. best of luck

The rashes could be oxalate dumping. Celery is high in oxalates which are harmful in high amounts

Interesting!
Of course the Medical Medium claims oxalates are a bunch of crap and highly recommends foods like spinach even if you've been told you have an oxalate issue (which I have). Silly me for giving him a try. We do things like this out of desperation though.

If you are sensitive to celery it could take awhile for it to cause a rash.

From experience, i would say, anyone who says you are getting sick due to being "toxic" is a HUGE RED FLAG. You have to be careful with ME, we are sensitive to all sorts of things.

Be careful. I know you want to get well and will do anything to achieve that. I know, been there, done that. I also made myself sick by sticking to protocols that didn't work for me for too long. Just do what you feel is best for you. best of luck

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. Yes, I was/am desperate, but I am also not an idiot and would hate to make things worse on myself which I think I have recently.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Yes, I was/am desperate, but I am also not an idiot and would hate to make things worse on myself which I think I have recently.
You had the courage to try something that seemed to have some basis in fact (celery is, among other things, a diuretic and would arguably sort of rinse your system while providing minerals and trace substances), even if it was off the beaten path. So don't beat yourself up, if indeed you are.

We're all forced to be our own lab rats and Petrie dishes, and inevitably, shite's gonna happen.

Keep that pioneering, battling spirit :woot::woot::woot: :thumbsup::thumbsup: !!!!

YippeeKi YOW !!

Celery is highly allergic thats the Problem.
I genuinely didn't know that !!!
I’m going to learn a lot from this community, I can tell
You're absolutely right, and also absolutely in the right place !!! And believe me, no one's judging you for how you do your learning .... we all have our little stories, lemme tell 'ya ....

Last edited:
You're absolutely right, and also absolutely in the right place !!! And believe me, no one's judging you for how you do your learning .... we all have our little stories, believe me ....

Thanks. I appreciate it, and glad I found this forum. I feel like it is going to take me months to sift through it all, but I hope that I can take bits and pieces from throughout to help me find some level of healing. I have been completely unsuccessful for years.

Hope it's OK to tag along on here, I actually started the MM protocols around 6 weeks or so ago now but have only been fat free for about 4 weeks so far. I am trying it out as when I first took up juicing it completely turned my health around 110% for the better, in fact it seemed at that time like I was completely cured of everything but further down the line a few years after I'd stopped the lifestyle and a few liver flushes later (would not recommend them at all as they made me so much worse I had to give up work) and now my body seems to be working differently and it isn't so easy to just follow this protocol and that protocol. . .

Regarding the oxalic acid, I also have suspicions I am now sensitive when I wasn't before, as I have been experiencing a burning throat with raw spinach and raw dark greens like dino kale and spring greens in smoothies recently, although cooking them seems to result in no reaction but I don't enjoy their strong taste anyway so I won't buy them again as I don't see the point and will stick to the milder, light greens instead which I enjoy more.
He does say you can use cucumber juice if you develop any issues with celery, just to let you know.
I have also been developing an appearing and disappearing rash on and off on the back of my right hand recently but that comes and goes with any food and it's nothing too bad atm.

I am currently experimenting with his guidelines to suit my current circumstances and see how it all feels as I struggle with blood sugar issues and am needing to find a different way through some of the eating practices and guidelines that just don't suit atm but will see how it goes. . . I like the idea of healing my liver which I think seems connected to CFS for me and my health in general.

Was curious to have a look on here and see if there was anyone else trying it too but I am sorry your experience has been a bit disheartening, it's horrid when that happens. I was also very sad to read about Sunshine44's experience :-(
As always, we seem to have to find our own way and remain as aware of our experience as we can.

Thanks for posting this guys :)

Learner1

Celery is highly allergic to humans :D
I've done a lot of allergy testing. I'm not allergic to celery. However, as @ChrisD wisely pointed out, celery is quite high in oxalates, which can produce rashes, pain, oxidative stress, digestive discomfort, cancer, oxidative stress, osteoporosis, and a whole host of other problems.
Gotcha. I wasn’t sure it could be an allergic reaction if it didn’t start until day 22 for me.
Could be that it took awhile for the oxalates to build up to a certain level to start triggering symptoms. To check, you could run a Great Plains OAT test or a Viome test.
Of course the Medical Medium claims oxalates are a bunch of crap and highly recommends foods like spinach even if you've been told you have an oxalate issue (which I have). Silly me for giving him a try. We do things like this out of desperation though
Oxalates are an extremely serious medical problem. This Medical Medium guy has no medical training and is a new age charlatan spouting fairy tales that unfortunately can end up making people extremely ill.
but have only been fat free for about 4 weeks
If you were to review ME/CFS research, you'd find that lipids are needed for proper brain function, for healthy cell and mitochondrial membranes, and for energy production. Going on a fat free diet might be disastrous for these goals, even though it may seem virtuous. Sone have found ketogenic diets to be useful, particularly got improved brain function.
Regarding the oxalic acid, I also have suspicions I am now sensitive when I wasn't before, as I have been experiencing a burning throat with raw spinach and raw dark greens like dino kale and spring greens in smoothies recently,
Kale is not high oxalate, but spinach is the single worst high oxalate food one can consume. The burning is definitely an oxalate symptom. You might find lowoxalate.info or the Trying Low Oxalates FB group to be helpful.

I've done a lot of allergy testing. I'm not allergic to celery. However, as @ChrisD wisely pointed out, celery is quite high in oxalates, which can produce rashes, pain, oxidative stress, digestive discomfort, cancer, oxidative stress, osteoporosis, and a whole host of other problems.
Could be that it took awhile for the oxalates to build up to a certain level to start triggering symptoms. To check, you could run a Great Plains OAT test or a Viome test.
Oxalates are an extremely serious medical problem. This Medical Medium guy has no medical training and is a new age charlatan spouting fairy tales that unfortunately can end up making people extremely ill.

If you were to review ME/CFS research, you'd find that lipids are needed for proper brain function, for healthy cell and mitochondrial membranes, and for energy production. Going on a fat free diet might be disastrous for these goals, even though it may seem virtuous. Sone have found ketogenic diets to be useful, particularly got improved brain function.
Kale is not high oxalate, but spinach is the single worst high oxalate food one can consume. The burning is definitely an oxalate symptom. You might find lowoxalate.info or the Trying Low Oxalates FB group to be helpful.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I really do appreciate it.
I did the Great Plains OAT test in like Dec 2019 and my oxalate levels were high -- I've stayed away from spinach and some other foods since then, and only tried something different Aug/Sept 2021 when I decided to give Medical Medium's protocols a try. I am done with that now though.

It can just be difficult seeing so much conflicting info when so desperate. But best to stick with science when in doubt.