• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medical Marijuana to Treat Kids with OCD, Autism ...

L'engle

moogle
Hi There,

There was a documentary on CBC's "The Nature of Things" in Canada (called 'The Downside of High') about marijuana use and schizophrenia. A major point was that there are two chemicals in marijuana, THC and cannabidiol. THC triggered and exacerbated schizophrenia in young people with a certain gene code. Cannabidiol, however, was shown to have neuro and immune protective properties. The street marijuana sold nowadays tends to be very high in THC and low in cannabidiol, so it can have a bad effect on neurological and psychiatric issues, or be a trigger in some people.

Here is an article about the documentary:
http://hearingvoicesnetworkanz.word...documentary-lights-up-potschizophrenia-links/

The documentary follows three young people who had very serious psychiatric problems, which they trace directly to marijuana use. It is quite sad to see how their lives have been set off track by a drug that for others has no serious side effects. It's all in the genes, like so many things.

Hi There,

There was a documentary on CBC's "The Nature of Things" in Canada (called 'The Downside of High') about marijuana use and schizophrenia. A major point was that there are two chemicals in marijuana, THC and cannabidiol. THC triggered and exacerbated schizophrenia in young people with a certain gene code. Cannabidiol, however, was shown to have neuro and immune protective properties. The street marijuana sold nowadays tends to be very high in THC and low in cannabidiol, so it can have a bad effect on neurological and psychiatric issues, or be a trigger in some people.

Here is an article about the documentary:
http://hearingvoicesnetworkanz.word...documentary-lights-up-potschizophrenia-links/

The documentary follows three young people who had very serious psychiatric problems, which they trace directly to marijuana use. It is quite sad to see how their lives have been set off track by a drug that for others has no serious side effects. It's all in the genes, like so many things.

I personally would never recommend to use this to treat pyschiatric problems. I feel like it almost "tricks" your brain into thinking your body is no longer in pain and you no longer feel sick.

I don't suffer from brain fog the way that I read people on here do...I have ocassions where I can't remember things I should and I am dyslexic (which seems to be getting worse over the years) but if I were to have actual memory or pysciatric problems I would stay away from it. Thats just my POV.

dipic

When I smoked it when I was well, it used to affect my memory badly so I cant figure out why anyone with CFS would want to use it when our memories are already often struggling.
Ditto. Also made me very sleepy & lethargic.

Tried it again in a very, very small amount/strength after I got sick (about 10 or so months ago) and it only exacerbated my symptoms.

My experience; just some food for thought.

vli

I agree that controlled studies with some kind of consistent product would be much better than all this anecdotal stuff, and of course the reasons there haven't been more done are political.
D*** straight--and honestly can anyone justify the legal status of alcohol anymore than they can the illegal status of MJ?

Ema

Has anyone known anyone to try the cannabidiol part by itself?

I see this is available in CA as a concentrated oil extract.

Ema

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I personally would never recommend to use this to treat pyschiatric problems. I feel like it almost "tricks" your brain into thinking your body is no longer in pain and you no longer feel sick.

I don't suffer from brain fog the way that I read people on here do...I have ocassions where I can't remember things I should and I am dyslexic (which seems to be getting worse over the years) but if I were to have actual memory or pysciatric problems I would stay away from it. Thats just my POV.
I dont understand the statement about not wanting to trick my brain into not feeling pain or no longer feeling sick, isnt this the aim of alot of the medicine we take??
I think it they can refine pot and extract the right chemicals that reduce pain and possibly neuroprotective then that would be a good med for cfs/me/fibro.

GhostGum

hi Ema, it's not just available in CA, it can be shipped to any state in the US. My own order was shipped on monday and i hope to get it before friday here in hong kong.
http://dixiebotanicals.com/products/dew-drops-hemp-oil-supplement/

There is an article on the dixie drops here,

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/i...medical-marijuana-patients-come-up-short.html

Looked into it a while ago because was interested in CBD's, just turns out their claims of CBD content are very misleading, so you should not expect any dramatic results. This is the current issue with medical cannabis still, finding a quality consistent product for a specific purpose, there are nearly endless types of cannabis which can result in dramatically different results; then you even have issues with dosing and method of consumption.

But as far as I know many of the dispensaries and co-ops in parts of the US have started to take developing CBD medicines much more seriously in recent times, before it was just grown strong THC stains and sell them over the counter. Would have to be living in the right state though probably and be connected to the right dispensary/co-op, hopefully though some high quality CBD oil extracts will be available more widely soon.

vli

thanx ghostgum, that was important for me to know... :|

there is another site that sells hemp oil, but as you can see THAT makes you shell out $3600, not something you'd do unless you knew if and how much it helps, even though each mg here actually works out at least a dollar cheaper than at dixie botanicals!!!!!

http://www.realscientifichempoil.com/index.php/products

hmnr asg

I also wanted to throw in my two cents about marijuana and its effects on CFS. I understand the original article was about marijuana and OCD (which I also have) but I like to also add in my experience with marijuana and CFS as well.
Before I do tell my story I like to also add that I am absolutely for the legalization of marijuana for a zillion reasons. I dont want to get into why i think the war on drugs is a catastrophe and all the other political stuff because its gonna get me riled up but I need my energy to make myself supper :p

So after doing much research on my OCD I did decide to give marijuana a try. Unfortunately, since it is illegal here I had to get some from a friend who bought from a sketchy dealer. This obviously invalidates my experience since it doesnt involve MEDICAL MARIJUANA, which as it was mentioned has lower THC and more cannabidiol.

So after trying it a couple of times, I realized that it has a slight improvement of my OCD symptoms, and it helps me sleep a tiny bit better but it has a DEVASTATING impact on my energy level and brain fog. In fact it got so bad once after smoking marijuana that I was really just in bed for a whole week. Obviously this is just my experience with marijuana and not just any marijuana, but in fact some that was bought from a very shady character. Maybe I will give this a try when it is legalized so I can be sure I am buying the right strain. There is such a large variety of types of marijuana each with their own qualities.

But for now, if you have CFS and want to give marijuana a try, make sure you start very small and you monitor its effects on your energy level/brain fog. And I dont mean immediately after, but the next day and the next week etc.

Good luck

J

vli

Just thought these *might* be of interest to someone int'd in the viral aspects of our illness. both are old and of course i didn't see them until reading on MMJ recently.

http://www.hepatitis-central.com/mt/archives/2007/06/the_pros_and_co.html

http://www.biomedcentral.com/presscenter/pressreleases/20040915b
("The researchers showed that THC acts specifically on gamma herpes viruses, as the chemical was unable to prevent the reactivation of another related virus, herpes simplex-1, which causes cold sores.
Previous research has shown THC to be a more potent and selective antiviral agent against gamma herpes viruses than the commonly used acyclovir, gancicyclovir and foscarnet. Dr. Medveczky believes that THC has its inhibitory effect by directly or indirectly targeting a viral gene shared by gamma herpes viruses, called ORF50. By preventing activation of this gene, THC can prevent the replication of the virus that this gene controls.")

GhostGum

Good that you pointed out the potential benefits of THC vli, I am not too versed in the potential of THC but I know many believe it can be just as important, if not more important than CBD's for certain conditions, especially cancer I think. Just that most of the problematic side effects come from THC, especially if smoking it but is possible to negate this by ingestion or using an oil/tincture.

Noticed this updated article on medical cannabis and Hep C as well,

http://www.hepatitis-central.com/mt...perspective-on-marijuana-for-hepatitis-c.html

Appears the liver cirrhosis cannabis link was nothing but researchers making premature connections and as usual without considering the variables. So much politics on this subject it is hard to know researchers motives sometimes and the quality of the research.