• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME is not mould intolerance; mould intolerance is not ME

frozenborderline

There is also I think more attachment to the mould hypothesis of ME in the USA than UK currently, although I could be wrong about that. Happy to be corrected.
Possibly bc it's harder to do mold avoidance in the UK

But jot a good reason to deny hypothesis. Imagine that the treatment for me/cfs is expensive and out of pocket. And the poor people said "this cannot be the true treatment , and if it was , almost nobody could afford to do it, so impractical ". It would be flawed reasoning even if sympathetic. I see the same thing with people saying they can't do mold avoidance and that its impractical solution. I agree, having been made broke by it along with many other treatments. Doesn't change the empirical reality tho. If it works it works. If it doesn't it doesn't. we need studied.

frozenborderline

Mould intolerance is mould intolerance
Mold intolerance is many things besides mold intolerance. It could be a symptom of other things or a cause of other things .
ME is a discrete illness
. I agree , mostly. More of a lumpen than a splitter
ME is not treated by mould avoidance.
there are no broadly approved treatments known to work well enough for ME and tested well enough to say they work. But also we don't know enough to say it doesn't work as a treatment for ME. Without that context one can just the same as you, say the opposite and it would have the same weight.

In reality we have to live with uncertainty and ambiguity.

frozenborderline

Yes, and I should clarify. Davis seems to think the trigger is gone in ME, Naviaux acknowledges that the trigger must first be removed, if present.
Good eye you have. Important catch. Similar ideas, but naviaux doesn't assume the trigger is gone. Neither do most mcas doctors. Although nabiauxs ideas are more complex than mcas I think. I'd like to see more environmental doctors working with purinergic pathways and talking about paracrine signalling. Naviaux is a genius. So is Davis. Mayne not quite geniuses but very brilliant. A lot of people may find this odd since I have a website dedicated to criticism and pressure on the omf . but its because I admire their minds and think they can solve this problem that I hold them to high standard.

But yes I think irs possible that there could be metabolic traps or cdr and the trigger at least partially stays so u can't force body out of it without dealing with toxin/allergen/irritant /infection.

lenora

if we stopped , simply stopped, systems would correct themselves. We could even speed it up with using plants and mushrooms for remediation, and binders and chelators. It'll probably never happen but If there's any good news on that front wake me up from my planned long nap and tell me about it

Good heavens, but that's asking for a lot, isn't it? Houses probably shouldn't be as well insulated as is today's manner of construction. Older homes have many problems, mainly due to leaking roofs and rotting wood under the walls. It's very complex.

As far as pollution from cars go....that's something fairly new, but we have to remember that open sewers that led into rivers or even on streets added to other horrible diseases. Each age brings it own problems.

Pollution from coal, people with terrible lung diseases (not just TB), families crowded together in one bathroom, a shared bathroom down the hall....we have to take the entire picture and go from there. So some things are better and some are worse. We won't have the answers for many years yet. Let's just say that cigarettes are a perfect example of a man-made illness and cover-up. And in order to make profits, they're now exported to Third World Countries.

Even leaves in the autumn can give off that mold odor. But are they inherently bad? Yours, Lenora.