• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Study Participants Needed at NIH

*GG*

Is this the one where you cannot have been ill for over 5 years? What does it pay? So you have to go to Maryland?

GG

Dolphin

Is this the one where you cannot have been ill for over 5 years?
Yes
What does it pay?
ccording to one person who participated in it, there is a stipend of around $600 for the 1st visit and $1000 for the 2nd visit.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/nih-still-needs-patients.58263/

This is on top of getting most or all of your expenses paid (people's circumstances will vary)

It's also an opportunity to get free rigourous testing

So you have to go to Maryland?

GG
Yes

Dakota15

I applied to it (I meet being under the 5 year criteria) but unfortunately after being reviewed for quite some time, was denied. Although it certainly entails a decent amount of commitment, to help research I would have signed up for anything.

In any event, hope they can get their numbers they are seeking.

*GG*

The 5-yr limitation is tough, given that it takes many of us so long to figure out that we have ME/CFS.

Yeah, took me 2 years. Mine started with Mono, kept going to the Drs complaining of pain/fatigue/headaches unrefreshing sleep etc..My PCP said it could take 2 years to get over the EBV/Mono, so when I was not any better, I started pursuing answers, and was diagnosed with CFS by the 2nd Infectious disease Dr I consulted. He offered no treatment besides over the counter pain meds and said good luck!

Working and with the brain fog and exhaustion, it was hard to do much else.

It's been a great 15 years now :(

GG

Wishful

It took me 15 years or so before I diagnosed myself with ME. None of those several dozen doctors even considered the possibility of ME. My guess is that most of them believed that chronic fatigue was just psychosomatic. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them still thought so. :grumpy: