• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME / CFS / PEM due to GI , Impaired metabolism

1. My brother had dengu in June 2018 after which his digestive system has totally disturbed ,even digesting food seems heavy task for body ,
His symtoms are as follows :
I feel fatigue , exhaustion , heart palpitation, even during digestion as If all bodys energy is used for digestion. gases, flatulence, bloating in gut. Hunger feeling is also reduced significantly.he need to eat semi solid easily digestible food ,one pot meal otherwise hisfatigue , exhaustion and Gut problems increases tremendously.

2. Whatever I eat that food also does not convert into energy I mean metabolism is also disturbed completely . So Constant fever like feeling (although fever is not present) , bitter taste in mouth , extreme fatigue and exhaustion, rapid breathing rate , heart palpitation , increase heart beats , dizziness , lightheadedness ,thirstiness , body/ muscle pain, body seems extremly heavy, hands and feet get cold after small amount of exertion (physical or mental or talking) .

85% Decline in Physical / Mental activities
can do very minimal physical , mental activities, or talking
while doing physical activities , I need to drag myself and feel extremely fatigue and exhausted like I am constantly on brake mode
If I do little bit overexertion I face post exertion malaise.

4. Total bedridden condition.
Test done :
1. Increased IGG / IGM for dengu and EBV
2. All blood test (hb, rbc, platelet count, ESR, serum iron, electrolytes, phosphorus, creatinine, blood urea, liver function test, lipase, amalyse, C-Reactive protien, tTG , igA) and harmonal test (cortisol, tsh,t4,t3, blood sugar) are normal.
3. Abdomen Ultrasound , Brain MRI, endoscopy, colonoscopy, capsule endoscopy , Ultrasound Endoscopy (EUS) , gastric emptying scan are normal.
4. Harmonal reports - T3, T4, TSH , Cortisol and ACTH are also normal .
5. MRI of cervical junction and spine with flexion , extension and neutral is normal .
6.Findings are s/o tethered cord with conus tip at upper border of L3.
Lipomatous slightly thick filum terminale is noted.

So major impact line has been GI i dont know what is exact cause after viral to impact GI and metabolism due Neurological(functional / structural) dysfunction | MAST cell inflammation | etc

Can anybody give me any idea .

Wishful

I recently posted about alpha-synuclein as a possible factor in ME. It's just a hypothesis at this point, which I'm leaving to experts to think about. However, what I've found so far suggests that a-syn aggregation in vagus nerve can lead to microglial cells attacking brain cells, which hypothetically could cause feelings of fatigue, muscle problems, and pretty much anything else. Check these two papers if you're interested:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4405142/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6701950/

Cumin (Cuminum cyminum) and Chinese Skullcap are supposed to be effective at blocking a-syn aggregation. It blocks my PEM, but doesn't do anything else for my ME symptoms.

ljimbo423

So major impact line has been GI i dont know what is exact cause after viral to impact GI and metabolism due Neurological(functional / structural) dysfunction | MAST cell inflammation | etc
Can anybody give me any idea .

There are several leading ME/CFS researchers that think a messed up or dysbiotic GI tract or gut is what causes ME/CFS. Here is a quote from one of the researchers, Derya Unutmaz-

Putting the patient back together

Unutmaz hypothesizes that ME/CFS is caused by a change in a patient’s microbiome after an infection. Our microbiome consists of our microbes—trillions of bacteria, viruses, and fungi that are living in and on our bodies.

A misbalance in our microbes can change the makeup of our entire microbiome, which triggers an inflammatory response and causes the immune system to perceive that there is still a danger in our bodieseven when an infection is long gone.
Source

Rufous McKinney

I got MUCH MORE SEVERELY ill with ME- following what appeared to be severe bouts of Gastroenteritis.

1) severe stomach flu with a virus..is most likely.... could this virus be living in my gut all the time and simply FLARE? (I saw norovirus in a print out of somebodies Fecal Assessment- I assume they didn't have the stomach flu). I may have Mast Cell eruptions..thats even possible and I don' t know.

2) Nitrous oxide explosion might have occurred following these bouts from the inflammed gut.

This might have caused me to become MORE tryptophan trapped.

3) This may account for my going from low end of Moderate..(i am somehow working 30 hours a week) to Much Worse- I can't read more than three paragraphs, or string 10 sentences together, or walk one block. I could walk- over a mile and was ok....before and then after two bouts- two months apart and a visit to the ER- I am sick for 60 days from walking around the block..two days in a row.

Something has to explain this worsening, and all the stress was happenign too...living in an RV, homeless, possessions incinerated, the valley covered in rumored Toxic Ash.

I have to back my car out of this Trap.

Wishful

2) Nitrous oxide explosion might have occurred following these bouts from the inflammed gut.

Oh my, the mental images I get from that... :wide-eyed:

While I don't feel that ME is primarily a gut problem, I do agree that gut problems can worsen ME. A certain evil :devil: brand of peanuts gave me gut discomfort and made me develop short-delay PEM. The flushing out of my GI tract by food poisoning seems to have been what cured my type IV food sensitivity, which was part of my ME. However, returning to what seems to be a healthy, stable gut microbiome doesn't make my baseline ME symptoms go away. :(