• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Olympic category suggestions

Dainty

Most understood typos by another ME/CFS sufferer.

This would be a duo competition where one CFS types badly and the other one has to guess what they meant to type. This is becoming quite an art in the chat room.

:D:D

Haha, that's great!

My contribution:

Proneback-drinking: Most adept at drinking water from a glass while laying flat on your back. This event would be scored by difficulty, accomplishment, and style. For difficulty, lying with your head flat on the bed without a pillow and as close to vertical (facing the ceiling) as possible gets the most points, while tipping your head to the side, raising it slightly, or using a pillow might not be worth as much. Accomplishment points are gained by drinking as many times as possible and spilling as little as possible--the more cleanly this task is completed the more points you receive in this category. The style category is all about performance. The ideal "look" of the sport is of someone who's too cool to sit up for a glass of water. You want to portray the sport of proneback-drinking in such a way that the spectaters are drawn to try out the sport for themselves because it looks like so much fun--that's what the judges are looking for. PBD Meets and tournaments TBA.

flex

Best athletic achievement in a dream

Competitors would have to describe the most accomplished athletic achievements they have dreamt about whilst suffering from ME/CFS. Judges would hold up score cards at the end of each description.

I often dream about playing football whilst lying on my stomach and outwitting opponents as they try to pass me.

jace

Off the fence
Carrigon said "I always say I could go to the doc or ER bleeding out my eyes and they would still say, "within normal range"."
I went to the docs, I've got blood coming out of my ear (truly) and she gave me some abx and a test. The test came back normal.

'Most extreme symptom presented that is within normal range'

Do I get a bronze?

ukxmrv

Dainty,

I cheat and use a straw (drinking water whilst lying flat). Can I still enter?

Lily,

Yes, able to shop only by having a trolley to lean on and only visiting the aisles of the store that I know has the items I need. If they reorganise the store I'm doomed.

Also able to stack shopping trolley with the lightest items first and still get around the shop leaving the heaviest ones until last. If I do this in the opposite order then I cannot do the lean/push on the trolley.

Tammie

I am loving this thread......good to be able to laugh about this stuff, esp since i can realte to oh so many of the suggested Olympic Events.