• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS just on MSNBC..

KC22

I just happened to turn on Dr. Nancy 15 minutes ago. She did a whole segment on CFS and the new research and the retroviral XMRV.

She said the symptoms were:

Extreme fatigue

Flu -like feeling (headache, muscle aches, etc)

Trouble concentrating

immune problems

She tried to interview a woman named Jennifer from Indiana who has it and asked her how she felt about the new discovery. They couldn't get her linked and she never got to answer the question..

They next interview Dr. Mikovits. She explained the 67% of people found to have XMRV and more studies 300 patients with similar results.

Dr. Nancy asked her if it was going to be held under the same scrutiny as cancer and something else. Dr. Mikovits said the study has been under careful scrutiny and will continue to be so.

Dr. M. said she is continuiing studying and trying to find out where the virus is in the community.

Possible 10 million infected. They are going to have their worked confirmed
and develop therapies.

I was taking notes as fast as I could.

MEKoan

Wow! That's great! Much more of this and, no matter the ultimate relevance of XMRV, the genie will be out of the bottle.

:D

jackie

Hey Koan , dreambirdie and kc22! Just watched the same show and realising the time constraints.... it was good to see the coverage.

But I kept hoping Dr. Mikovits would have the chance to 'splain a bit more.

I wonder if she had said this new virus was now the fourth known Retrovirus AND named the other three - "HIV, HTLV-1 and HTLV-2" - if Dr. Nancy would have made the crack about "these Wacky Viruses"?

I'm not very knowledgable about science and the "Science" of this new discovery is what boggles my mind!

I also have to remind myself to keep my sense of humour and cut folks some slack, I guess. Although I STILL can't find any mention in my ratty local paper!

jackie

KC22

Jackie..

Yes, I would have liked a longer segment. I wish we could have seen Dr. Mikovits, too. I was sorry that the woman from Indiana could not put a patient perspective on it, too. They tried.

It's a start... Definitely, they need to dig deeper so we can hear more.

Also, I found an article on my local newspaper online. Not sure if it is the actual newspaper.

Summer

OT this thread

Maybe we need a media links thread with no discussion where you can always go and find what is new in the media at one place??? I'm so new I do not know where to makes this suggestion.

A

Aftermath

Maybe we need a media links thread with no discussion where you can always go and find what is new in the media at one place??? I'm so new I do not know where to makes this suggestion.

We may do this at some point.

For now, just start them as new threads in the "General ME/CFS news forum."