• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Me/Cfs caused by low dopamine / dopamine dyshomeostasis?

physicsstudent13

it is not a good idea to experiment with dopamine 'drugs'

well I have tried some things to regrow dopamine receptors. Maybe the damage to my brain neurons was too great or it didn't regrow the dopamine receptors. I still have severe muscle weakness, I can't remember faces or names and can't learn or remember very well due to dopamine problems and I haven't been able to feel emotion or motivation for almost 10 years now.

hapl808

it is not a good idea to experiment with dopamine 'drugs'

Would low dose Abilify or LDN count as that? Seems like two of the more effective approaches, although so far I've only tried LDN (didn't help me much, but I luckily didn't seem to have bad side effects either).

pattismith

Vortioxetine is a ssri that increases also other neurotransmitters, dopamine included.

1679349282634.png

It is thought to improve cognition via 5-HT3 antagonism

1679349407826.png

A Focus on Vortioxetine - Mechanism of Action and Efficacy (psychscenehub.com)

GreenEdge

Another question would be: Why are women 3-4 times more likely to have ME/CFS than males?
I think it's got nothing to do with emotions and psychology.

Women have a much more complicated immune system, one that must learn to accept sperm from a male in order to reproduce. One that must tolerate the foreign cells of the fetus and nurture it whilst growing in her womb.

That is why autoimmune diseases are 4 times more common in women than in men.

Full article: Women Have Stronger Immune Systems: Why That's Not Always a Good Thing

Last edited: