• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS and Appendix

Treeman

Hi, I’ve just had a CT scan of my thorax, it was requested to check I didn’t have lymphoproliferative disease. My lymph nodes had no concern with them, however they noticed an enlarged appendix, it’s not cancer and not about to burst.

After some research I found that it’s believed the appendix is actually part of the immune system. As I believe my illness is caused by a chronic infection of EBV, it’s to be expected by me that parts of my immune system will be enlarged/inflamed/reacting to the infection.

I’ve been taking valacyclovir for a year now after 27 years of illness and my health has improved since taking the medication.

They want to take my appendix out as a precaution, but I view it as an identifying symptom that confirms chronic illness that’s attempting to do its job and not taken as worrying sign. Does anyone else have a similar experience? Thanks.