• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS: An Infectious Disease by Dr. Rosemary Underhill

alex3619

Nobody knows how the ME trigger works. I have made some educated guesses as to what happens in cases like yours. I suspect the infection was just a minor bump, and the ME was already primed to go. One final infection and the immune system fell into the trap. I used to call this the two hit hypothesis, but its really a many hit hypothesis. Many patients get worse in stages, each infection driving them down some more. I suspect this happens before the symptoms become obvious as well, at least in some patients.

Coxsackie virus is a special case as it disseminates through muscle and other tissue, and may provoke things long after the acute phase is done.

BurnA

Nobody knows how the ME trigger works. I have made some educated guesses as to what happens in cases like yours. I suspect the infection was just a minor bump, and the ME was already primed to go. One final infection and the immune system fell into the trap. I used to call this the two hit hypothesis, but its really a many hit hypothesis. Many patients get worse in stages, each infection driving them down some more. I suspect this happens before the symptoms become obvious as well, at least in some patients.

I agree - nobody knows !
The problem is association, we are all guilty of it and because nobody knows it becomes obsessive thinking at times.
I did feel 100% before my infection and the other feature of my onset was that the initial infection seemed to clear up and I felt 100% for a few days before I got hit with me/cfs. I don't know how this fits in with your theory?
Thats what makes me wonder was the problem there already or not ? I've heard theories comparing this to poliomyelytis or biphasic onset type, but I don't know if there is any evidence for this ?

alex3619

I have read stories like this before. Its not very common, but not unknown. I wish we had better answers, but 90% of what we discuss with ME is somewhat speculative, but that is all we have.

BurnA

I have read stories like this before. Its not very common, but not unknown. I wish we had better answers, but 90% of what we discuss with ME is somewhat speculative, but that is all we have.
Thanks, yeah no harm in speculating until we do find out ! Just as well we enjoy speculation!