• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mayo clinic starts Mitochondrial biobank & is recruiting volunteers!

FernRhizome

Hi Folks:
As a member of the United Mitochondrial Diseases Foundation I just received an e-mail that they are working with the Mayo Clinic to start a new biobank of blood samples of folks with mitochondrial diseases, included acquired mito diseases. You can read more about it at the following website below. They are looking for folks to donate blood and answer some questions. It's all for research purposes so you don't get back any individual results.

Eventually, Dr. Vamsi Mootha's Boston lab will have available the new "chip" test from a drop of blood to diangosis mito disease becomes available in the human model. I am guessing this may be why UMDF and the Mayo Clinic are starting up a biobank for blood. As previously a muscle tissue biopsy was needed for testing. So if they are biobanking blood this is great news that they must be close to being able to look at mito disorders via blood samples. ~FernRhizome

http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mitochondrial-disease-biobank/?tr=y&auid=5903038

K

_Kim_

How to Participate:
Before you decide whether to participate you may call or meet with study staff to voice your questions or concerns. If you decide to participate, you will be asked to:

• Sign a document saying that you agree to participate.
  • Complete a short questionnaire.
  • Allow us to obtain information from your medical record.
  • Possibly provide a blood sample.
  • Allow us to obtain any leftover clinical samples (such as skin or muscle biopsy, urine, etc) that are no longer needed. Agree to be contacted periodically in the future.
To Learn More:
Call or e-mail a Mitochondrial Disease Biobank Staff Member:
507-293-1386 (local)
1-877-594-2149 (toll-free)
mitochondrialdb@mayo.edu

*GG*

Thanks for your post Wayne, it brought it to my radar screen. Looks like it will be easier to participate in than CAA's Biobank!

GG