• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Maybe over methylated

Nanni

Yes and no. The phosphorous relieved the phosphorous deficiency caused by the thiamine and thus that horrible fatigue (symptom of low phosphorous) went away. Overall I feel better since starting the thiamine several years ago, though I don't have the amazing boost of energy that I initially had. And I still have to take phosphorous.

It's like what methylfolate did to me when I started it in 2010. Initial boost in energy followed quickly a day or 2 later by severe fatigue, but that time the problem was low potassium. The mechanism was the same - my body had adapted to being low in folate so when I added it in, it increased my need for potassium causing a functional potassium deficiency. I started taking potassium and titrated up to 1000 mg a day (in divided doses) over a couple of days until the fatigue went away. And I still have to take potassium daily.

btw, muscle testing helped me determine that it was low phosphorous which caused the severe fatigue with the thiamine.

Also, it's very common for people with ME/CFS to have their potassium tank when starting methylation with either B12 or folate. There are a lot of people on PR who have experienced this - this helps explain why: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...ded-in-methylation-treatmt.18670/#post-291422
Thank you for this great info. I too had a wonderful few days after discovering I had mthfr and took the Ben Lynch Seeking Health supplements for it. I had great energy and then the floor dropped out. And I experienced the same thing around fatigue when I stopped all the SIBO supplements, anti microbials and a bio film buster . I wonder if I experienced a rebound of the virus ? And I think phosphorus could be an issue.

I’m definitely going to look for a chiropractor that does muscle testing. Years ago my family had an amazing practitioner who unfortunately moved away. He was incredibly helpful but this was before I got sick.. Hard to find a good one.

The update on my over methylation plus…
I took the lower dose of niacin for a couple of days and it did the trick for the most part. I can breathe more comfortably but I still have tightness in my chest. I have good energy right now but I need to get the balance down. I’ve always had the wired tired problem so this is a little more complex. My doctor prescribed Buspirone but so far I don’t think it’s helping. I’m not taking anything else for awhile, clean out. I had hoped, even expected that when I emerged from SIBO, which was such a big problem, that I would soar. Instead I plopped. I hadn’t felt that discouraged for years. I guess I went a little overboard with methylation. Good idea to get a Nutreval. It’s been years since I’ve done any diagnostics. It’s another new phase to work through. So it goes.