• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

maybe off topic, maybe not...Borromean rings

oerganix

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience...strangephysicaltheoryprovedafternearly40years

"Strange physical theory proved after nearly 40 years"

I was struck by two things about this story. The obvious one is that it took 40 years for one faction of the scientific community to verify a theory. In this case, the area of science is quantum physics, which I find fascinating, as it meshes so well with my metaphysical orientation as a Taoist/rational metaphysicist. To say it another way, metaphysics and quantum physics are two sides to one coin.

The second thing that grabbed my interest and imagination is the content of this theory: that there are arrangements in nature that need 3 parts to manifest in a certain way. In the quantum physics story it's about how certain particles might need to be bound together in groups of 3 in order to exist.

"Efimov had predicted a quantum-mechanical version of Borromean rings, a symbol that first showed up in Afghan Buddhist art from around the second century. The symbol depicts three rings linked together; if any ring were removed, they would all come apart.

Efimov theorized an analog to the rings using particles: Three particles (such as atoms or protons or even quarks) could be bound together in a stable state, even though any two of them could not bind without the third. The physicist first proposed the idea, based on a mathematical proof, in 1970. Since then, no one has been able to demonstrate the phenomenon in the lab - until recently. "

That made me consider again that it may be that we have to have XMRV plus another virus or bacteria, say EBV, plus a third "stressor", say influenza, car accident, toxic chemical exposure, etc., in order to manifest ME/CFS. And once this "bond" is made, it is very difficult, but not impossible, to break.

See here for some images of Borromean rings: http://images.google.com.ni/images?...omean+rings&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

If this analogy were to hold true, then maybe removing one of the "rings" could break the hold this illness has on us. We probably can't go back and remove the final "stressor", pragmatically speaking, but it might work just to eliminate one of the other two. For that we need some real "out of the box" thinking and I'm hoping the new re: XMRV will provide that stimulus.

I apologize if this is too off topic, but, hey, it's a "slow news day" in XMRV land :D

Another link between quantum physics and metaphysics: http://www.livescience.com/strangenews/090603-maco-entanglement.html