• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Massage mat experience please

Emmarose47

Hi all
I am getting a lot of pain in my arms hands legs and feet .
I've just ordered an accupressure mat see if that does any good .
Any one had experience with massage mats or any other non medical device which has helped ?

xebex

Be very very careful. Start by lightly putting your hands or feet on the mat. For just a few seconds.

i bought a mat and lay on it for 10secs it was a delightful feeling but it caused me to crash for about a week. I do believe our (or maybe just mine) nerves are super sensitive so acupressure needs to be super gentle to start.

I still cannot use the mat

Rufous McKinney

I still cannot use the mat

a bunch of people were using this vibrating machine around here....cure all. I forget the name of it. Sports medicine use it alot.

Well I can't be on the machine for even three minutes and it made me get quite bad PEM ...tied to lymph movement, in my case.

Other people were spending twenty minutes standing on it. Loving it.

xebex

@Rufous McKinney it’s shocking isn’t it? WHY are we so sensitive! I imagine it does move lymph about which may not help cos it could put toxins in places our bodies doesn’t like, but I bet the vibration overstimulates the nerves too which cause the ANS to go haywire!

Rufous McKinney

it’s shocking isn’t it? WHY are we so sensitive! I imagine it does move lymph about which may not help cos it could put toxins in places our bodies doesn’t like, but I bet the vibration overstimulates the nerves too which cause the ANS to go haywire!

your right, its probably both things....It was almost funny- my little town several machines showed up at $10K a piece. This older guy had people lined up and coming by every twenty minutes to stand on it. Donations in a jar.

And it made me so sick EVERY time. PEM later.

Pretty much acupuncture makes me quite ill. I get treatments that consisted of about 1/10 the number of needles, and no more than 15 minutes. My husband did both sides of his body, and two hours. worth.

I cannot tolerate a massage, either.

something is stored there and comes out.

I also read about theory of how acupuncture is likely working. Connective tissue is likely transmitting messages. And ours is messed up somehow, ins't it?

xebex

I suspect "everything" scary is stored up there...as my lymph is hugely affected by all this. LPS; metals; crap from losing 45 pounds of excessive weight gathered over decades.
sorry you cant tolerate massage thats sucks. i'm so lucky to do well with maasage however i did a specific lymph drainage massage and felt awful for a week, but just my hubby lightly touching the knots in my back is a marvel.

right at the very start of my illness when it was very mild i tried acupuncture and it was terrible - i find EFT which is light finger touch pressure good for calming down the nervous system,

Rufous McKinney

i find EFT which is light finger touch pressure good for calming down the nervous system,

I've used that periodically.....I find it helpful

LIteeraly I"ve been driving through San Francisco, me doing EFT in the passenger seat for my bladder spasms and general terror. Get me out of this city NOW.

Or: tapping myself while driving down the not busy local freeway headed to the dentist....

Rufous McKinney

sorry you cant tolerate massage thats sucks.

My weight lifting brother in law gave us this gigantic mega massager...some years ago. Which was lost in the wildfire.

I could not get over that I went into a local thrift store and the same exact massager was just sitting there waiting for me. $20.

The handle is almost two feet long. You can massage your whole self anywhere you like.

so THAT can crash me if I get carried away...it feels so good to massage the calves for instance.....

Emmarose47

sounds like peripheral neuropathy type issues? (extremeties)

The feet correspond to all the body parts so one has to watch overdoing foot work.
Rufous do u have experience of drugs to try for this ?
Naproxen anti inflam not doing anything
Been trying CBD oil isn't doing it
I take amitriptyline for nerve pain in my head but if I up the dose of that I'm too sedated

Rufous McKinney

Rufous do u have experience of drugs to try for this ?

I"m rather lousy at "fixing" our dilemma...drug and pill-wise.

I"ve used some Copaiba Oil I got on various odd peripheral neuropathies and I find it helpful. That affects cannibanoid receptors. And is a bit like the CBD....b- caryophyllene source.

I have a numb section of my right arm, and a corresponding numb section of my right leg. I have applied the Copaiba and it feels less intense. And that benefit last a while.

My right side has more of my weird symptoms.

right side of my right hand, right side of my right foot rather numb

veins swell oddly, radiating out of knuckles. Yuck. CBD topical or copaiba has helped me with that.

I think I"ve fully aired that my right nipple disappeared. Its entirely bizarre, my husband finds this fascinating.

Something is off there, and Copaiba improves THAT.

I have a bad lymph node on my rib cage. Still working on that.