• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Marijuana can reduce pain and spasms - UCal Feb 2010

ixchelkali

Just FYI, there's a measure on the November ballot to legalize marijuana in California (not just medical marijuana). I doubt it will pass, but if it did I guess there'd be a showdown between states' rights vs federal rights, and probably end up in the Supreme Court to decide.

Could someone who has done the research save me the trouble and tell me, are Nabilone (cesamet) and Dronabinol (Marinol) related to cannabis in some way?

Rosemary

Big Pharma-Backed Marijuana Spray As Medicine?

British health regulators have approved the sale and marketing of Sativex, an oral spray consisting of natural cannabis extracts (primarily the plant cannabinoids THC and cannabidiol aka CBD) as a treatment for symptoms of multiple sclerosis. (MS)

The spray, which has been legally available to patients in Canada since 2005, went on sale in Britain on Monday. The drug will be marketed in the United Kingdom by the Bayer Corporation which estimates that Sativex will cost the countrys state-run National Health Service roughly 11, or about $16, a day for each patient.

In clinical trials, Sativex has been demonstrated to reduce MS-associated spasticity, pain, and incontinence. Long-term investigational trials indicate that consistent use of the cannabis-based medicine may also slow the progression of the disease.

Surveys from the UK and elsewhere indicate that MS patients often report using cannabis therapeutically, with one study reporting that some four out of ten patients with the disease find relief from marijuana.

GW Pharmaceuticals, makers of the Sativex, is expected later this year to seek separate regulatory approval for the spray in Spain, France, Germany, and Italy.

In 2006, the US Food and Drug Administration authorized recruitment for the first-ever North American clinical trial of Sativex for cancer pain treatment. A Phase III trial is anticipated to begin the US later this year.

The approval of Sativex in the UK is newsworthy though hardly surprising, as the scientific evidence in support of marijuanas medical safety and utility has been available for decades. However, the bigger question still remains. That is: How can the US government continue to promote a policy that calls for the arrest and prosecution of patients who use a substance that fourteen states and much of the rest of the western world now acknowledges as a safe and legitimate medicine

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy...ig-pharma-backed-marijuana-spray-as-medicine/