• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Managing Potassium Deficiency - Share your experience

L'engle

moogle
Has anyone has any success with transdermal potassium?

I’ve scoured the web and there’s really no evidence to support its use transdermally. Ive also contacted a few compounding pharmacies and have been told it may work but it would be hard to control the amount and rate of K+ as it gets absorbed. This could be dangerous if too much is absorbed too quickly because you bypass the liver with transdermal application.

The reason I ask is because I have gastritis and potassium in any form is irritating to the point where I simply cant work it in.

It seems to be the rate limiting factor for me as I push methylation. When I do take it for short periods, I feel a whole lot better other than flarring up my gastritis.

Would love to find a solution or other experiences / workarounds here. I just ordered pico potassium chloride and will be spraying it on my thighs along with magnesium.

I have done potassium foot soaks with powder when I didn't want to keep taking the capsules. I don't know how much translates to a capsule but if you try it try like 1 minute of soaking on a given amount of powder mixed in the water, and see if you can gauge how that is stacking up to a capsule or food source. It's a nuisance so I've only done that at times of high potassium loss. When you have gastritis though most things are preferable to enduring that.

I used to be able to get powdered potassium but only can get the food grade NoSalt stuff the last few years. It has a few extra things added in but is mostly potassium. I used a small scoop, much less than the amounts for absorbing magnesium with epsom salts. Maybe a table spoon or two. Potassium is trickier than magnesium and taking too much creates unpleasant symptoms similar to low potassium.

I did try magnesium in water on my legs but found it very itchy and not really effective. I think the potassium could be quite irritating if applied that way. I've always found foot soaks easier.

Freddd

As I titrated methylfolate I had a lot of stomach problems and that turned out to be the first symptom for me of too little potassium. I titrated to get the daily dose what works for me with food. and supplements as needed. Potatoes for instance have a lot of potassium.