• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Male friend - Crushing Headaches during .....

Headaches leaning forward, exercises, higher BP, orgasms

A male friend suffered an adverse reaction to Cipro.
Ever since, he suffers pressure headaches and crushing
headpain during and post orgasm. Recently, constant
since cold/flu/cough.

Has any other males suffered from those symptoms.

Neurologist suggests its vascular, I think there is more to
it, but what???

Input from males suffering similar much appreciated.

Quirky

taniaaust1

Id like to know more about that issue too. Both me and my boyfriend (my boyfriend doesnt have ME/CFS) at one point were both getting crushing headaches at orgasm and lasting for a brief time after (5-10 mins after).

Neither of us were taking Cipro at the time (thou I'd taken it previously with other bad effects which had stopped as soon as I'd stopped taking it. Im sure my case wasnt related to the previous Cipro and my boyfriend had never taken Cipro).

Neither of us have this issue thou now.

*GG*

yeah, that where I was going to go with this also. I used to get "crushing" headaches while having sex with my GF.

GG

Id like to know more about that issue too. Both me and my boyfriend (my boyfriend doesnt have ME/CFS) at one point were both getting crushing headaches at orgasm and lasting for a brief time after (5-10 mins after).

Neither of us were taking Cipro at the time (thou I'd taken it previously with other bad effects which had stopped as soon as I'd stopped taking it. Im sure my case wasnt related to the previous Cipro and my boyfriend had never taken Cipro).

Neither of us have this issue thou now.

Cipro and other Fq antibiotics, and some others, can cause delayed side effects,
sometimes appearing two to more years later, symptoms may fluctuate etc...

I also had similar, and never found out what's causing it. But my friend's headache
starts with orgasm and last for days and now for about a week.

yeah, that where I was going to go with this also. I used to get "crushing" headaches while having sex with my GF.

GG

Wondering if you took antibiotics of the fluoroquinolones family or cephalosphorins two years or even more prior to this symptom. My friend developed his symptoms a few months after taking Cipro. Often those reactions are delayed, or fluctuate over a period of years.

Calathea

Eep, I was on Cipro just last week for a post-surgical infection. Here's hoping nothing nasty happens!

I believe this phenomenon is known as "thunderclap headache", which may help when researching it. I've seen it identified as a species of migraine. Have you tried asking the migraine community? Has your friend found meds that work yet, and if so, has he tried taking them before sex? Knowing when the migraine will hit is very useful information. Although I would absolutely hate having the threat of migraine hanging over me during sex, talk about something that will stop you from relaxing into it!

Eep, I was on Cipro just last week for a post-surgical infection. Here's hoping nothing nasty happens!

I believe this phenomenon is known as "thunderclap headache", which may help when researching it. I've seen it identified as a species of migraine. Have you tried asking the migraine community? Has your friend found meds that work yet, and if so, has he tried taking them before sex? Knowing when the migraine will hit is very useful information. Although I would absolutely hate having the threat of migraine hanging over me during sex, talk about something that will stop you from relaxing into it!

Cipro has a black box on it. ONly to be give during life or death infection, when no other antibiotics works. I can't believe that doctors are still prescribing for other. Its on FDA watch list etc.. Sometimes, adverse reactions can manifest over a period of months to two years or delayed appearing two years later. Hoping it won't happen to you. Wide spectrum of symptoms includes severe CNS, PN, ANS, hypglycemia, tendon damage, diabetes, thyroid and more.
No worry, the majority don't develop those symptoms.

Looked up "thunderclap headache" and its not that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderclap_headache

Calathea

FDA black box labelling is an American thing, I'm in another country. It's not the first time I've been casually prescribed something that the FDA list with a black box (the other time was metochlopramide, which I had a terrible time with). In this case, no other antibiotics had been tried, and the doctor wasn't even 100% sure that it was an infection. I looked up the side-effects a day or two after starting it and was made rather nervous, especially since I've had tendinitis a few times, but between the delay and the weekend and only being put on it for a week, it didn't seem worth asking the doctor.

One of the listings for "thunderclap headache" includes "primary sexual headache", so that must be why I'd heard it called that. It gives you something extra to google, anyway. Googling "thunderclap headache" with "orgasm" certainly brings up plenty of results.

FDA black box labelling is an American thing, I'm in another country. It's not the first time I've been casually prescribed something that the FDA list with a black box (the other time was metochlopramide, which I had a terrible time with). In this case, no other antibiotics had been tried, and the doctor wasn't even 100% sure that it was an infection. I looked up the side-effects a day or two after starting it and was made rather nervous, especially since I've had tendinitis a few times, but between the delay and the weekend and only being put on it for a week, it didn't seem worth asking the doctor.

One of the listings for "thunderclap headache" includes "primary sexual headache", so that must be why I'd heard it called that. It gives you something extra to google, anyway. Googling "thunderclap headache" with "orgasm" certainly brings up plenty of results.

Good point. I did check it, and yes, could apply.

As for fluoroquinolones antibiotics, all doctors in the EU were also issued with warnings that this should be used
only when no other antibiotics have worked and so forth. I am not sure for other countries. I met so many who
developed nasty reactions, either straight away, for some two years in one case four years later, that I would not
take it again after suffering some life threatening conditions triggered by it.

Having said, many people took it and suffered no side effects. It all depends on how we respond individually.

taniaaust1

Having said, many people took it and suffered no side effects. It all depends on how we respond individually.

That is an area which they certainly should be studying.. why so many of us who have ME/CFS are getting bad reactions to meds. If they studied the whys of that rather then studing "fatigue".. maybe they'd learn something helpful our illness.

That is an area which they certainly should be studying.. why so many of us who have ME/CFS are getting bad reactions to meds. If they studied the whys of that rather then studing "fatigue".. maybe they'd learn something helpful our illness.

I was given CFS/ME diagnosis. All the symptoms are indeed of CFS/ME, but all started post ADRs to three prescribed
meds and vaccines.

Few know, that ADRs to meds can cause POTS, cardiac, neurological, thyroid dysfunction, metabolic dysfunction,
mitochondrial dysfunction (see on Pubmed), diabetes, and all other symptoms as listed for ME/CFS,
as well as antibiotics suppressing the immune system and reactivate dormant infectious pathoges. This happened
to me and many others post ADRs. Some post FQ ADRs had their LD activated, and so forth.

The problem is that very rarely doctors will give a diagnosis of toxicity from meds, we end up labeled with
ME/CFS or Fibro. Toxcicity from medications is well known, but hushed up..

*GG*

Wondering if you took antibiotics of the fluoroquinolones family or cephalosphorins two years or even more prior to this symptom. My friend developed his symptoms a few months after taking Cipro. Often those reactions are delayed, or fluctuate over a period of years.

No, cannot recall the last time I took a anti-biotic, Oh, I just remembered, a couple of years ago, probably 3, if was for my nasal issues.

GG

Calathea

As for fluoroquinolones antibiotics, all doctors in the EU were also issued with warnings that this should be used only when no other antibiotics have worked and so forth. I am not sure for other countries. I met so many whodeveloped nasty reactions, either straight away, for some two years in one case four years later, that I would not take it again after suffering some life threatening conditions triggered by it.

How on earth can they know if a medication has caused an effect starting several years later? I can understand the effect starting with the medication, or with its withdrawal, and going on for longer than expected, I've experienced that myself. But I cannot understand a side effect not showing up at all until years afterwards, especially not these types of effects.

Headaces - leaning forward, exercises increased BP,orgasms [Edit]

Male friends gets headaches when he leans forward,
exercises, increased BP and as mentioned previously,
(ie orgasms with wife).

This adds a different perspective and could be
pituitary???