• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnetic treatment for depression

Wishful

https://newatlas.com/biology/magnetic-stimulation-depression-backwards-brain-signals/

I don't know the quality of the study, but if it's true, it might be something to consider for ME. Maybe there are some 'wrong way' signals flowing in our brains, that could be treated by TMS. If their technique of studying the brain and modifying it via TMS works, the methodology could be followed for other diseases. Researchers may be reluctant to follow up on other researcher's theories, but they shouldn't have problems using their tools and techniques, such as this one.

lenora

Hello @Wishful......thanks for bringing this to our attention.

While it looks very promising, it also states that the use of magnets for depression has been ongoing for decades. I'm a little leery of "studies" that I read and then disappear into the stratosphere. Been hopeful too many times, I guess.

However, depression is a terrible thing to have and to treat, so I hope this does hold promise. It's certainly prevalent enough (depression, that is). Perhaps this will be an ongoing finding (study) and that would be wonderful for so, so many people. Thanks again. Yours, Lenora

Wishful

There's a difference between TMS and some other "magnet treatments". TMS uses a very strong fluctuating magnetic field to induce a current in neurons. A static magnetic field won't do that. I remember wrist magnets being a fad decades ago. I don't know whether that was solidly debunked, or if people still try that.

It would be useful if they could refine the TMS technique to induce the currents in more specific locations. If there's some level of success with it, refinements should occur.

Springbok1988

When my ME/CFS was moderate and I was dealing with a lot of sadness and hopelessness, I did rTMS and those feelings just disappeared. Now I am dealing with severe anhedonia where I will just stare out the window all day because everything sounds boring, even watching TV. I did deep TMS and found no improvement.

Jackb23

When my ME/CFS was moderate and I was dealing with a lot of sadness and hopelessness, I did rTMS and those feelings just disappeared. Now I am dealing with severe anhedonia where I will just stare out the window all day because everything sounds boring, even watching TV. I did deep TMS and found no improvement.
I totally understand that. I just stare all day as well. Have you tried abilify? I also found CDP-Choline and magnesium threonate helpful.

Springbok1988

I tried Abilify and it seemed to help at first but then I over did it and, after PEM set it, it never worked again. I might come back to it at some point but I don’t have high hopes. I’ll have to give CDP-choline and magnesium a try. Thanks!

Jackb23

I tried Abilify and it seemed to help at first but then I over did it and, after PEM set it, it never worked again. I might come back to it at some point but I don’t have high hopes. I’ll have to give CDP-choline and magnesium a try. Thanks!
Make sure its magnesium threonate.