• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium: Type and Dose

Likaloha

For those of you who have had some benefit from taking magnesium, what form (e.g., glycinate, citrate) and dose do you use?
I take magnesium supplements for my migraines. My doctor advised me to take Mag-Tab SR 2 times a day and an extra one of my migraine was bad. Luckily, I have about 99% less migraines!! The bottle says it is magnesium L-lactate dihydrate and had 84 mg of elemental magnesium. I really don't care how it works, but my migraines were debilitating and now are much, much better!!!

ljimbo423

For those of you who have had some benefit from taking magnesium, what form (e.g., glycinate, citrate) and dose do you use?

I use citrate. I've used glycinate before but didn't notice any more benefits from that than using citrate and citrate is cheaper, so that's what I take. I'm taking 800 mg a day and divide that into 3 doses.

I take my largest dose at about 10:30 at night and notice almost an immediate clearing of my mind and vision. I also notice an increase in energy from it, which really surprised me.

I had always heard it was relaxing so I didn't expect my energy to increase. The energy I get is a "clean" form of energy, so to speak and it doesn't interfere with me falling a sleep just an hour or so later.

Wolfcub

I take Solgar Magnesium Glycinate 400 mg daily, split into 3 doses, plus 100mg of Magnesium (what type is not specified) in my multivitamin/mineral complex daily. I also eat a lot of foods which contain magnesium.

I have a chronic type of migraine with aura with only a few "let up" days per month. The headache is not the worst part of it, by any means.... :cry:

I have not so far noticed any marked change from taking Magnesium. But I don't think the benefits are seen quickly re: migraine, and I might not be taking a high enough dose.

I am tagging @YippeeKi YOW !! because she might be interested in this thread :)

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

I have not so far noticed any marked change from taking Magnesium. But I don't think the benefits are seen quickly re: migraine, and I might not be taking a high enough dose.
For me, glycinate at higher doses, including 400 - 500 mgs separated into 2 or 3 or even 4 doses, did zip.

It was only when I clipped the 100 mg tabs into two 50 mg doses and took 50 mgs every 45-60 mins when my symptoms (anxiety attacks with panic spikes, heavy head pressure with pounding head, heart palps, chest pressure, sweats) were at their worst that I started to see results. I also added 500 gs of Vit C every few doses, and .25 mgs of melatonin when instinct told me it could help.

As to which type of mag is best, there are about 12 - 15 primary types, and which one is best for you depends on the symptoms you're dealing with.

I posted a comprehensive breakdown of the 10 pr so primary types, along with which things they were best for, in another thread and am too tired and stressed right now to have to re-write that, or try to search it out .....

EDIT .... for idiot accidental misstatement that I'll pass off as a typo rather than the current stupor ....

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

I use citrate.
I had always heard it was relaxing so I didn't expect my energy to increase.
Citrate is known less for its relaxing effects (glycine is one of the best for that) than for it's laxative effects. In hospitals, a strong mixture of mag citrate is used as a pre-op intestinal 'cleanser', and it's extremely, uncomfortably effective.

Dont know if you'd get that response on a 200 mg dose (the strongest one you take at night) or not but since y'all didn't mention it I'm guessing not .....

ljimbo423

Dont know if you'd get that response on a 200 mg dose (the strongest one you take at night) or not but since y'all didn't mention it I'm guessing not .....

No laxative effect from it that I'm aware of but I have IBS that changes often. So I might be getting a small laxative effect from it sometimes. I take about 300 mg at night as my largest single dose.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I take 400 mg. magnesium glycinate before bed and 300 mg. more middle of the night. It helps me with sleep. I don't notice any other effect, though I've been taking magnesium for many years so it might be helping me in ways (e.g., with energy) that I'm just not aware of. It doesn't have a laxative effect for me.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I take 400 mg. magnesium glycinate before bed and 300 mg. more middle of the night.
I've also taken amounts of mag gly well in excess of the RDI or even the UL, and like you, have had no ill effects. It slowly undid damage that was making me worse and worse, in an ever descending spiral, that nothing else had even marginally imroved.
It doesn't have a laxative effect for me.
Totally agree. In spite of the HUGE amounts I was taking, like @Mary, I had zero laxative effect from it.

Mag gly is known for NOT producing the usual high-intake bowel effects, which is one of the reasons I settled on it as I flailed about desperately for something that would keep me from the familiar-to-many-of-us " .... just want to die ..." effect that the constant battle against the effects that this miserable little mealy-bug of an illness can produce ...

Wolfcub

It was only when I clipped the 100 mg tabs into two 50 mg doses ank of timed took 50 mgs every 45-60 mins when my symptoms (anxiety attacks with panic spikes, heavy head pressure with pounding head, heart palps, chest pressure, sweats) were at their worst that I started to see results.
When will I ever learn? You have told me this multi-split dosage works better for you umpteen times. :rolleyes: Honestly I would lose track of my own head if it wasn't screwed on. :headslap:
I will up the dosage to 600 mg daily 50mg every hour, starting in the morning.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Here are some notes on magnesium:

*Types of magnesium*
From seunderwood on PR:
Magnesium citrate - is the most popular magnesium supplement, probably because it is inexpensive and easily absorbed. Citric acid is a mild laxitive. It is a good choice for those with rectal or colon problems, but unsuitable for those with loose bowels.
[Also may cause brain fog and/or insomnia; see below]

Magnesium taurate - is the best choice of magnesium for people with cardiovascular issues, it is known to prevent arrhythmias and guard the heart from damage caused by heart attacks. It is easily absorbed and contains no laxative properties.

Magnesium malate is a fantastic choice for people suffering from fatigue, since malic acid - a natural fruit acid present in most cells in the body - is a vital component of enzymes that play a key role in ATP synthesis and energy production. Magnesium malate is highly soluable.

Magnesium glucinate - is one of the most bioavailable and absorbable forms of magnesium and less likley to cause diarrhea. It is the safest for long-term deficiency.

Magnesium chloride - has an impressive absorption rate and is the best form of magnesium to take for detoxing the cells and tissues. Also, chloride aids kidney function and can boost a sluggish metabolism.

Magnesium Carbonate - is a bioavailable form of magnesium that actually turns into chloride when it mixes with hydrochloric acid in our stomach. It is a good choice for people suffering from indigestion and reflux, since it contains antacid properties.

Worse forms of magnesium:

Magnesium oxide - is non-chelated and possesses a poor absorption rate compared to those listed above.

Magnesium sulfate - also called Epsom salts, is a fantastic constipation aid BUT an unsafe source of dietary magnesium since overdosing is easy.

Magnesium glutamate and aspartate - Avoid these two forms completely. Glutamic acid and asparatic acid are componets of the dangerous artificial sweetner aspartame, and both of them become neurotoxic when bound to other amino acids.

*Connection with zinc and taurine*
From mgk on PR
Taurine keeps magnesium and potassium in the cell, but the body has trouble holding onto taurine in a zinc-deficient state (source: http://physrev.physiology.org/content/72/1/101). It has proved true in my experience as well. I've made more progress on my magnesium deficiency symptoms in the last 2 weeks than in the last several months just by adding in a well-absorbed form of zinc and adjusting the amount based on the taste test.

*Insomnia from citrate*
From Mary on PR
I did have trouble with magnesium citrate causing insomnia, though it took me awhile to figure it out. I read the same thing, that citrate can contribute to glutamate, causing insomnia. My sleep improved markedly when I switched to mag glycinate.

*Tinnitus and brainfog*
From Gondwanaland on PR:
Currently I tolerate Mg Aspartate. Since it doesn't help with constipation, I use Taurine for that. Taurine also improves fat digestion.

The only form of Mg that helps me with constipation is Mg Citrate, but it causes tinnitus + brain fog (if I recall correctly, citrate inhibits Tyrosinase), so I avoid it.

[And from another post] Citrate is a chelator that might lower copper which would also cause brainfog.

YippeeKi YOW !!

The only form of Mg that helps me with constipation is Mg Citrate, but it causes tinnitus + brain fog (if I recall correctly, citrate inhibits Tyrosinase), so I avoid it.
What a GREAT post on the various forms of magnesium.

I kept trying to goose myself into re-doing my previous all-inclusive magnesium post (like an idiot I didnlt bookmark it or save it in and retrievable way), but I just. Couldn't. Do it ......

So grateful to you for lifting the cloud of guilt that has been hovering over me as a result.

MAG OXIDE, THE INTESTINAL MIRACLE-WORKER
For constipation, I find that, for me, nothing works except magnesium oxide, and it works like magic. I use Bulk Supplements, about 600-800 mgs (3/8 teaspoon in about 6 ozs warm water and stevia) in warm water with 7 or 8 drops of stevia for palatability (which makes it almost tasty), and by the next morning, or lunchtime at the latest, everything's back to normal, with absolutely no side effects.

It doesn't fully dissolve, so I always have to swish the last granular remnants with a little more water to get the full dose. Small price for side-effectless, undamaging (unlike even 'gentle' herbal laxatives, not to mention Colace, a favorite with almost all Drs, which has been connected pretty strongly to increased risks/presence of colon cancer) cure for what ails 'ya ....

SIZE DOES MATTER ....
As you noted above, mag oxide is poorly absorbed by the body. It's a large molecule, so instead of being absorbed in the stomach or small intestine, it shoots straight thru like a railroad car on a greased track, to your large intestine, where it draws in water, thus accomplishing its magic.

I dont know if you've tried this before, but I wanted to mention it just in case ....

Again, SUPER post on mag, particularly the inclusion of the warnings against Mag glutamate and aspartate, which as far as I'm concerned, should have a large skull and crossbones on their front labels. But then, we're all different, soooooo ...

Wolfcub

I kept trying to goose myself into re-doing my previous all-inclusive magnesium post (like an idiot I didnlt bookmark it or save it in and retrievable way), but I just. Couldn't. Do it ......
I tried to find that by searching last night but gave up at a certain point. When I get a mo. I'll try again:nerd:
I don't suppose you can remember the title....or close??

YippeeKi YOW !!

I tried to find that by searching last night but gave up at a certain point. When I get a mo. I'll try again:nerd:
I don't suppose you can remember the title....or close??
Oh, please @Wolfcub, dinna fash yerself .... I'm going to slowly pull together another mag treatise based on my own experience and experimentation, and including @PatJ 's excellent input above with his permission, and this time I'll hang on to it in some retrievable way. Cause, you know, a girl gets tired.

If, on the other hand, you stumble across it, that would be great. Just dont waste any fragile precious energy on it yes?

I'm going to check out a few of the benzo threads, I think I posted some of it in one of those.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
input above with his permission

No need for permission. I just collected all the info from other posts. I thought it would be OK to collect the info and repost it on PR with attributions since each item was posted here in the first place.

Here are a couple of additions to seunderwood's post:
[Note about glucinate form: "Magnesium glycinate is a better option for stabilizing magnesium levels in diabetics as gluconate is processed through the same pathways as glucose." https://healthfully.com/difference-magnesium-glycinate-magnesium-gluconate-5664282.html]

[Missing is magnesium glycinate which is also a good choice. It has high absorption and the glycine is calming.]

Last edited:
Magnesium threonate. That is the only one I can take and stay awake.

If I take even a half dose of i.e. glycinate I go into a zone where I cannot stay awake and my sleep nearly doubles through naps. Then, I slowly recover from that to my usual extremely sluggish self over a 3 day period.