• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium injections

Hi,
Long story short: My GP is willing to help me with magnesium injections and additions following up testing to make sure it doesn’t get to high if I supply him with the material and magnesium solution. The syringe is essy to get but do anyone know where to obtain the sulfate?

pamojja

I take this product for Mg-sulfate IVs, available non-prescription in German phamacies (~€17,- for 5 ampoules): https://www.patienteninfo-service.de/a-z-liste/m/magnesium-verlaR-iv-50-infusionsloesungskonzentrat/

Also a 10% version is available, guess that is more for single injections.

By the way, almost monthly Mg-sulfate IVs ceased muscle-cramps after the 6th, however after the 30sth serum and whole blood Mg tests showed it decreased there even further. So I doubt that with the much smaller injection a real deficiency could be corrected. But could be wrong, we are all different.

Great, thanks for replying. That 50% solution should be able to work as an injection too I suppose and not just iv?

So your symptoms improved but not the blood test? Perhaps you could have benefited more from weekly ivs rather than monthly?

pamojja

I guess it's too strong for a single injection. Usually 1 IV lasted at least an hour or more for me. (In comparison, ascorbate IVs can be given very rapidly) Think it a terrible idea out of safety reasons to use an amount and concentration intented for IV as a single shot. Better don't.

Actually before the last serum and blood tests I did get weekly IVs in a row. And before my GP quit due to pandemic restrictions. My only hypothesis for such a paradoxical result in blood is, that my body started to feel safe to regularly get more of the stuff, and confidently soacked it up where its most needed (bones, muscles). Only 1% of whole Mg-body stores are in blood.

If you use the 50% you’ll definitely could not use the whole content for a single shot. I’m not sure if it’s possible to save part of the solution or if you have to discard the unused. That would be an economical question too, I suppose.

If I’m counting right your 50% solution would equal about 500 elemental mg, right? I’m not sure what one dose of the 10% would be compared to for example Myhill’s recommendations.

Well, your theory sounds reasonable. It sure it a long race to replete exhausted levels. I’m taking about 1.5-2 g oral mg and is getting nowhere.

pamojja

Yes 1 50% ampoule for 1 IV contains exactly 480mg elemental Mg. So guess 10% would contain 5 times less: 96mg.

Since the stopping of IVs this January I'm now already at 3 g oral elemental Mg to avoid most muscle-cramps. 1g of it from a high-Mg mineral water (Rogaska DonatMg).

Thanks for your informative answers. I’m making an order asap to get starting.

Have you tried some potassium for the cramps?

pamojja

I did monitor my labs, so also electrolytes in serum. The one most apperently deficient was calcium 13 years ago when I started supplementing. Since I also had a huge calcified stenosis I tried to still limit calcium, but took vitamin D3 (along with retinol and vitamin K2) to raise its absorption. Took 2 years and since then calcium in serum stayed in the middle of normal range with a serum 25(OH)D3 level of in average 70 ng/ml..

All other electrolytes I started low and increased gradually with the years, while monitoring labs. Potassium got about 4.2 g per day from diet, and supplemented an other 1.5 g/d in average the last 13 years. At times up to 2.2 g/d. Or about 1.8g of additional elemental sodium. Of course, one should supplement potassium only very slow and carefully titrating the dose, while monitoring symptoms and labs, otherwise could be dangerous.

Muscle cramps only started in my case after vitamin D/calcium sufficiency. So I strongly suspect through the co-factor need of Magnesium, to have pushed me from a life-long subclinical Mg-deficiency into a really severe.