• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium: Can it help insomnia, heart palpitations, muscle cramps/pain?

Sunday

Maxine and others, I appreciate the education on magnesium. I knew it was important for us, but now I know a lot more about how and why!

silicon, I've also seen the Swanson's offering of magnesium oil, but I'm very very broke these days and spending only for the basic supplements on Freddd's "Hidden Story" protocol and the occasional acupuncture appointment. However when I'm a bit more flush I intend to try that oil, I'll do my best to remember to report back.

Hysterical Woman

Hi Y'all,

FYI, I noticed that Swanson's has a magnesium oil product that seems inexpensive (like most of their stuff). I was wondering if anyone has tried it:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU481/ItemDetail

Hi silicon,

Thanks for finding. Swanson advertises this magnesium oil as also being from the Zechstein Sea which I believe is the same location as the product from Ancient Minerals (which is a lot more expensive). I would "assume" then that the chemical composition and independent laboratory testing would be roughtly the same, but I wish that info was posted on the Swanson site. I poked around on that site and didn't see it, altho I could have missed it.

Take care,

Maxine

silicon

Hi silicon,

Thanks for finding. Swanson advertises this magnesium oil as also being from the Zechstein Sea which I believe is the same location as the product from Ancient Minerals (which is a lot more expensive). I would "assume" then that the chemical composition and independent laboratory testing would be roughtly the same, but I wish that info was posted on the Swanson site. I poked around on that site and didn't see it, altho I could have missed it.

Take care,

Maxine

Dear Magnesium Maxine,

Yes, both products appear to come from the Zechstein Sea. I see that the Ancient Minerals site mentions that they have a rigorous manufacturing process and posts some lab verification of purity, while Swansons doesn't offer any such details. So one may wonder what organization and by what process Swansons is obtaining this magnesium oil. I doubt Swansons is producing it themselves...I wonder if they are getting it the same way as Ancient Minerals, and just re-selling the stuff? Unfortunately we may never know. Perhaps only someone who tries both products, and is sensitive to the differences would be able to tell. I must confess that the Swansons discount price is seductive!

FYI I found this link, where some other customers have expressed similar questions, which remain unanswered:

http://www.skincareblog.net/2009/03/31/ancient-minerals-magnesium-gel-plus/

Peace,
Dave

silicon

Maxine and others, I appreciate the education on magnesium. I knew it was important for us, but now I know a lot more about how and why!

silicon, I've also seen the Swanson's offering of magnesium oil, but I'm very very broke these days and spending only for the basic supplements on Freddd's "Hidden Story" protocol and the occasional acupuncture appointment. However when I'm a bit more flush I intend to try that oil, I'll do my best to remember to report back.

Sunday, I've yet to investigate Freddd's protocol, but I am very intrigued, as I keep hearing good things about it (although I have done B12 injections and related supplements in the past, without any noticed results--and I understand that treating CFIDS is a very individual, unpredictable endeavor).

Hysterical Woman

Hi Sunday,

You are welcome about sharing the information regarding magnesium. It is extremely important for us, but I only briefly covered some of the reasons why so many people are deficient. The books go into much more detail including how much less magnesium is in even fresh vegetables compared to the levels that used to be in there (there is a major deficiency of magnesium in the soil), and the dumping of magnesium from our bodies caused by living in a stressful world (adrenaline dumps magnesium), as does alcohol, and many medications. A partial list of those medications include: common diuretics, bronchodilators, birth control pills, insulin, digitalis, tetracycline and certain other antibiotics, corticosteroids, cocaine, nicotine. While all of us recognize the need to take medications for our problems, doctors should advise their patients that these meds can cause magnesium deficiency.

Many of us understand the money problem all too well. And with so much information out there and people trying to sell us stuff it is hard to know what to try. Many on this forums have spent small fortunes on supplements/herbs/medications only to get little or no help from them. It's beyond frustrating.

Please come back and let us know if you try the magnesium oil. I will also look for any posts you make on Freddd's B12 thread. I am in awe of the incredible job he has done at running down the details of those supplements and the willingness to use himself as a guinea pig to get the best results for himself and to share that with others. Can't beat it! We are so lucky to have this forum.

Take care,

Maxine

Hysterical Woman

Hi Dave

Dear Magnesium Maxine,

Yes, both products appear to come from the Zechstein Sea. I see that the Ancient Minerals site mentions that they have a rigorous manufacturing process and posts some lab verification of purity, while Swansons doesn't offer any such details. So one may wonder what organization and by what process Swansons is obtaining this magnesium oil. I doubt Swansons is producing it themselves...I wonder if they are getting it the same way as Ancient Minerals, and just re-selling the stuff? Unfortunately we may never know. Perhaps only someone who tries both products, and is sensitive to the differences would be able to tell. I must confess that the Swansons discount price is seductive!

FYI I found this link, where some other customers have expressed similar questions, which remain unanswered:

http://www.skincareblog.net/2009/03/31/ancient-minerals-magnesium-gel-plus/

Peace,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for finding those quotes from customers about the "purity" of some of the magnesium oils. The "dosage" is also an issue. As some point out in their comments, you don't really know how many milligrams of magnesium (mg of mg :) you are getting with Swanson product. You might be able to determine that by contacting them, but I don't see why they wouldn't be forthcoming with that information unless it is highly diluted?

Hope you are doing OK.

Take care,

Magnesium Maxine

Hysterical Woman

Thanks Maxine. Looks like I need to see about finding magnesium...:Retro smile:

Hi oerganix,

lol, as you can see from my posts, I have found it very useful! Good Luck if you decide to take it and let us know how you are doing. Have you tried taking any before? Do you think you are deificient?

Unfortunately, it's not just a popping of any magnesium pill in any dose. I so regret not starting the magnesium glycinate earlier since I was resistant having taken magnesium malate early on with no result. So, when my friend kept trying to get me to take the glycinate I kept feeling, nope, tried that, can't take everything, didn't help me, must not be a problem. I could have not been more wrong.

Then I began to read about so many people being deficient, why they are deficient, and how many different meds/supplements/foods high in phytic acid or oxalic acid can block magnesium absorption. Once I started taking it and got rather quick results with helping my sleep I was hooked :)

Take care,

Maxine

silicon

Hi Dave,

Thanks for finding those quotes from customers about the "purity" of some of the magnesium oils. The "dosage" is also an issue. As some point out in their comments, you don't really know how many milligrams of magnesium (mg of mg :) you are getting with Swanson product. You might be able to determine that by contacting them, but I don't see why they wouldn't be forthcoming with that information unless it is highly diluted?

Hope you are doing OK.

Take care,

Magnesium Maxine

Quick Response to Magnesium Oil

I recently ordered the cheap Swansons magnesium oil, and have sprayed my skin (arms) with 5 drops the past 3 days. It seems that it does provide a feeling of enhanced alertness, within minutes. I took it the first 2 days late at night, yet awoke the next morning typically tired (but I don’t think I can blame the magnesium for that). I just took some during the day, about an hour ago, and I do believe that I’m more alert, less foggy. Which is really remarkable, since I’m someone that rarely notices the impact of any supplement! I hope it continues…I’m not really sure how to manage the dosing and frequency. This really makes me wonder whether I should be taking more of my supplements “dermally”, like maybe opening up capsules and grinding them into a paste and applying to my skin. I’ve had gut issues for years, and I question my gut’s ability to absorb much of anything…does anyone else feel that way about their gut?

Anyway, thanks again Maxine for sharing the info about magnesium oil. And yes, that’s a good suggestion to contact Swansons regarding the milligrams of magnesium (mg of mg)—I shall do that.

Dave

Hysterical Woman

Jason study/magnesium

Excerpt from the new Jason study:

Conclusions: Several types of alternative medicine have some potential for future clinical research. However, due to methodological inconsistencies across studies and the small body of evidence, no firm conclusions can be made at this time. Regarding alternative treatments, acupuncture and several types of meditative practice show the most promise for future scientific investigation. Likewise, magnesium, l-carnitine, and S-adenosylmethionine are nonpharmacological supplements with the most potential for further research. Individualized treatment plans that involve several pharmacological agents and natural remedies appear promising as well

I was happy to see magnesium listed with the items that have the most potential for further research.

BTW, this is the first time I have been able to make the forums work in 3 days. Not sure how long I will be in before I get kicked out again. :-(

Take care,

Maxine

Hysterical Woman

Dave/Magnesium Oil

Quick Response to Magnesium Oil

I recently ordered the cheap Swansons magnesium oil, and have sprayed my skin (arms) with 5 drops the past 3 days. It seems that it does provide a feeling of enhanced alertness, within minutes. I took it the first 2 days late at night, yet awoke the next morning typically tired (but I dont think I can blame the magnesium for that). I just took some during the day, about an hour ago, and I do believe that Im more alert, less foggy. Which is really remarkable, since Im someone that rarely notices the impact of any supplement! I hope it continuesIm not really sure how to manage the dosing and frequency. This really makes me wonder whether I should be taking more of my supplements dermally, like maybe opening up capsules and grinding them into a paste and applying to my skin. Ive had gut issues for years, and I question my guts ability to absorb much of anythingdoes anyone else feel that way about their gut?

Anyway, thanks again Maxine for sharing the info about magnesium oil. And yes, thats a good suggestion to contact Swansons regarding the milligrams of magnesium (mg of mg)I shall do that.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Good luck with the magnesium oil. Please let us know how you are continuing to do with it. The first couple of times I used it I actually felt euphoric - it was quite weird. Now I prefer to add it to warm bath water and soak for a while.

Take care,

Maxine

silicon

Hi Dave,

Good luck with the magnesium oil. Please let us know how you are continuing to do with it. The first couple of times I used it I actually felt euphoric - it was quite weird. Now I prefer to add it to warm bath water and soak for a while.

Take care,

Maxine

Hi Maxine,

I've backed off the magnesium oil. The kiss of death was when I associated a bout of tachycardia with it—even after taking just 1 spray. I tend to avoid things that are stimulating (I can’t even take caffeine), especially if I suspect that they increase my susceptibility to tachycardia. It is mysterious why the oil should be stimulating though. It’s also mysterious how I could have a positive reaction initially, but then soon afterwards a negative reaction (on a minimal dose, as I gradually reduced my doses once I realized I was being overstimulated)—but I know these sorts of experiences are not uncommon in our case.

Dave

OMG

Hi everyone. Im Kenny. Idk if there are still people who view this thread but I feel like I needed to share this with you all.

I have been suffering from what is apparently a Mag deficiency for most of my life. I'm 31 yrs old now. Over the past 5 yrs everything has gotten worse. I could list my symptoms and share my experiences but they are classic and typical. Anyways, heres what I want to say. im a 6/3 220lbs man.

Ive been taking magnesium glycinate for the past few months. I also recently bought the ancient minerals mg oil.

Here is what i believe.

Magnesiums therapeutic dose is actually much lower than reported. I can only get results when I take 100mg in a 24 hr period. If i take even 200 mgs. I get The rag doll feeling that others here describe. I believe that feeling is actually a magnesium induced magnesium deficiency.

I use kal. each pill is 200mgs so, i have to break them in half. I take half at night. I have had rapid results. everything from breathing to depression to clear healthy fingernails. every time i start to see and feel the results i get restless and want to up the dose. so ill try 200mgs a night,. after a week or so of this, my mag deficiency symptoms begin to return. I don't get diarrhea. I believe that there is some sort of chemical reaction that makes our kidneys excrete higher doses of magnesium when we supplement too much. I also believe that even 200 mgs is too much. THE KEY TO MAGNESIUM SUPPLEMENTATION IS LESS IS MORE. EVEN A LITTLE TOO MUCH WILL CAUSE MORE HARM THAN GOOD. I am most likely bigger than most of you physically and, I see rapid results at only 100mgs mg gly a night. im sure you will too. IMPORTANT! Ive also noticed this when I take 100mg gly and use about 100mgs of magnesium oil. The symptoms still return. Please all of you. try this, stop everything, all supplements and rx sleep meds. stop calcium potassium. lower ur mag dose to 100mg per day. for 2 weeks. You will be amazed. Magnesium will balance all other electrolytes so taking calcium and potassium is not important. In fact, having these electrolytes roaming around ur system without magnesium to direct them is dangerous. Magnesium is the conductor of all the electrolytes. without it there is chaos. but, it has to be introduced to the system slowly. If ur deficient so are your kidneys. idt that deficient kidneys can handle huge influxes of mag, no matter what type. Over-supplementation will result in a net loss of mag. I kno its counter intuitive to say take less for more results but, I do know what has worked and what hasn't.

If i had read this somewhere it could have saved me yrs of anguish.

I hope this helps someone.

ps. Thiamine is dependent on magnesium for utilization. So a magnesium deficiency will usually mean a thiamine deficiency. Once you get ur mag levels up look to thiamine for ur neurological symptoms.