• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAF 878 (not 314 or injectable): how are we doing?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'd like to restrict this thread to discussing MAF 878 only, not the other forms, because they seem to work with different intensities and timescales at the very least, from what I've read on other threads, so I think discussion of them is best kept separate.

So, MAF 878: only available since this summer, but some of us have been on it since then.

I started it on 24 August at 75ml each morning. For over a year I've kept a daily log of how I spend each quarter-hour (lying down, feet up or sitting/standing). I can see that from about five weeks into the MAF, I started to lie down less and that's down from approx. 5.5 hrs/day to 4 hrs/day. I generally feel slightly stronger (that started from about 9 weeks in) but my ability to sit/stand is, on average, about the same at 1.25 hrs/day but now it's high variance - some days zero because of flu-like malaise and some days about 2 hrs.

I've experienced malaise every day now for over three weeks, which is not normal for me: I usually assume that's some new bug and it usually lasts about ten days.

So, a mixed picture for me but some hopeful signs.

How has it been for you? How long have you been on it?

ukxmrv

I had more than a month on the MAF878. Made it as per Dr Enlanders's instructions. It made more than a month's worth so I froze some. I also tried to make more MAF878 from the stuff I had already made. A patient of his on another forum sent me their method (which he thought was working).

When I started the MAF878 I was coming down with the flu / upper respiratory type (my whole family had it) and I also had terrible diarrhoea (far worse than I normally have). Kept a diary each day.

The month was of terrible health, emotional instability and hormonal weirdness. It wasn't possible to entirely separate the MAF878 symptoms from the flu symptoms. My family and extended family were sick with the flu more than once in two months. Started before the yoghurt arrived.

My diary ends on day 58. Took either the MAF878 and all the rest during this time.

By then I was finally getting over the flus, I was stronger than one day 1, my digestion was much better. However, these slighter better times didn't occur until right at the end and when I was taking either the thawed MAF878 or my attempts to make it and it's quite possible that these were either weakened or it was just the effects of the kefir, yoghurt or the colostrum I added

Should also include for the sake of completeness that I have a recent history of endometriosis and fibroids.. During the time I took the real MAF878 had a month of heavy off and on menstral bleeding which is very unusual.

Comparing my diaries from MAF878 and an earlier one from MAF314 there were some similarities

1. Better sleep is a feature of both (less so with MAF878)
2. Spots on the face (ditto)
3. Irritability and feeling unusually stressed out (both)
4. Throats and glands (MAF314 had a stronger, more acute effect)
5. Good changes to my digestion (both)

It may be that the MAF878 is weaker than the MAF314 variety and therefore I needed a longer trial to see more good effects. Also with the MAF314 the good effects were apparent straight away (within a week), them the possible IRIS started and the long term effects were not apparent for 2 months after.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
That's interesting. I've just been to get investigated for unusually prolonged and bleeding in this last month - I also have fibroids but this month has been quite epic! I hadn't thought to link that to the MAF.

So you're not on MAF at all now? Would you have liked to do a longer trial? I don't think I felt (as opposed to measured) any positive changes until about the ninth week.

I have the impression that MAF 878 is gentler and slower than the other forms so people are maybe not getting such bad side-effects initially but it's taking longer to see improvement.

ukxmrv

Hi Sasha, I've now been kindly given some more MAF314 from a patient here who sometimes makes a surplus.

Sorry to hear that you also had the severe bleeding. Side effects seem to be different between the 2 MAF yogurts then maybe?

Would be great if we could compare notes to some more MAF878 users. Thanks for starting this thread.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Glad to hear you're getting more MAF. Good luck!

Not really sure if the bleeding was a coincidence - the menopause must be any minute now for me so my hormones might be all over the place anyway.

Yes, would love to know how other MAF users are getting on. I don't know how many are on PR.

Forebearance

I've been on MAF 878 since July, I think.
I'm on a stable dose of one drop a week. I'm not experiencing any bad side effects this way. But naturally, signs of progress are very slow in happening. I notice slight good effects, like getting thinner and having more stamina.

Fore

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've been on MAF 878 since July, I think.
I'm on a stable dose of one drop a week. I'm not experiencing any bad side effects this way. But naturally, signs of progress are very slow in happening. I notice slight good effects, like getting thinner and having more stamina.

Fore
Hi Forebearance - thank for replying. Just wondering why you're only taking one drop? My dose is 75ml and according to the internet (so it must be true!) a drop of water is approx 60 microlitres, call it 75 microlitres - so I'm taking over 1,000 times your dose! Did you get bad effects at a higher dose?

I wish I was also getting thinner but "more stamina" is exactly how I'd describe my improvement. It sounds as though you're maybe getting a similar magnitude of effect but at this tiny dose. I wonder if our doses are somehow self-regulating - maybe each person can only stand the dose that their body requires and more is not necessary or desirable.

ukxmrv

It's hard to work that all out (reactions / dosages etc)

Forebearance, you deserve a medal for finding a dose that you can cope with and sticking to it!

On the MAF 314 I started to notice weight loss on day 19. I suspect that some of the water I carry around (most noticable on my stomach) was going.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
On the MAF 314 I started to notice weight loss on day 19. I suspect that some of the water I carry around (most noticable on my stomach) was going.

Once again you've got me thinking of something I didn't connect to MAF.

I struggle to keep weight off and am currently a stick figure with wasted muscles but a big tummy. Maybe some of that is water (from splanchic pooling related to orthostatic intolerance) and I can lose/gain three or four pounds in a day or two, possibly related to my monthly cycle which now seems to be maybe affected by the MAF. Not very conclusive but you've got me wondering.

ukxmrv

What happened on the MAF314 was that on day 19 (it's in my diary) I started going to the loo and going to the loo etc. It was fluid and exactly what used to happen just before my period. Like yourself I can gain weight quickly and it seems to be water around my stomach.

A couple of days after that I noticed that my clothes and my shoes were much loser than normal. I could fit into some old shoes.

Unlike the "normal monthly water weight loss" this lasted for a couple of months at least. Then I went back to "normal" when I finished the MAF314.

I didn't get that with the MAF878 but I suspect that it is milder than the MAF314.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
That's very interesting.

Like you, I keep a daily symptom log (I have a chart where I tick off the presence of a list of symptoms) and I'm glad I do. A lot of changes are so gradual that they're hard to spot and with others, it's so easy to forget when they happened in relation to a new intervention.

Forebearance

[/quote] I wonder if our doses are somehow self-regulating - maybe each person can only stand the dose that their body requires and more is not necessary or desirable.[/quote]

Exactly, Sasha.
If I take more it hurts rather than helps.

Thanks, ukxmrv. I have lots of practice at not worrying about "average" doses of things.

Fore

GcMAF Australia

Just a note
The strength of the MAF's can depend on the strength of the colostrum which is added,
apparantly colostrum from cows that have just given birth is very strong.
Don Lewis is getting some first day colostrum and will look into this.
He has had some pretty potent stuff with some other colostrum

ukxmrv

That's great news. Australia has lots of regulations on colostrum so should be interesting.
I seem to be one of the lucky patients who can tolerate a full dose, not get too much of IRIS and show benefits early. Very unusual for me!