• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Maf 878 instructions help

Mij

I'm asking this for a friend who will be ordering Maf 878 from Dr. Enlander on ebay. He is having difficulty understanding the instructions.

This instructions say:
Use 1 gallon wide mouth glass jar

add complete jar of STARTER KIT
then add
one pint of yoghurt
one quart kefir
one pint whole cream

Keep mixture at approx 80 degrees F for five days before use.

After 10 days keep mixture in refrigerator

How do you keep a "glass jar" at exactly 80 degrees without a thermostat?

What are you supposed to do with it for the 5 days between keeping it at 80 degrees and putting it in the fridge after 10 days?

It seems he would need at least a gallon container (does it have to be glass??) with a thermostat at the very least. I read on this forum recently that Dr.Enlander rec's organic milk but i think maybe you or he meant cream or kefir?

I want to send him my Yogoumet Multi yogurt maker to make this stuff but it heats up to 111-113F so that would be too warm I guess. Some are using heating pads? Do you wrap it around the jar?

My friend is too sick to ask questions so if someone could please make it simple to understand because I can't offer any suggestions.

Thanks.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm asking this for a friend who will be ordering Maf 878 from Dr. Enlander on ebay. He is having difficulty understanding the instructions.

This instructions say:
Use 1 gallon wide mouth glass jar

add complete jar of STARTER KIT
then add
one pint of yoghurt
one quart kefir
one pint whole cream

Keep mixture at approx 80 degrees F for five days before use.
After 10 days keep mixture in refrigerator

How do you keep a "glass jar" at exactly 80 degrees without a thermostat?

What are you supposed to do with it for the 5 days between keeping it at 80 degrees and putting it in the fridge after 10 days?

It seems he would need at least a gallon container (does it have to be glass??) with a thermostat at the very least. I read on this forum recently that Dr.Enlander rec's organic milk but i think maybe you or he meant cream or kefir?

I want to send him my Yogoumet Multi yogurt maker to make this stuff but it heats up to 111-113F so that would be too warm I guess. Some are using heating pads? Do you wrap it around the jar?

My friend is too sick to ask questions so if someone could please make it simple to understand because I can't offer any suggestions.

Thanks.

Hi Mij,

You might want to read the other threads on MAF 878--there are lots of good ideas and experience from those who have actually cultured and used it.

Sushi

maddietod

"Keep mixture at approx 80 degrees F for five days before use.
After 10 days keep mixture in refrigerator"

The instructions that came with my MAF878 from ebay didn't say anything about "10 days." They say after 5 days [of cultivation] you can start taking it, and keep it in the fridge.

I cultured it in a glass jar placed inside a large container of water, heated with an aquarium thermometer. As Sushi said, take a look a tht MAF threads for more details on what people are doing.

Mij

Great I looked through the thread.

Yes, I saw your post about the aquarium thermometer- very good thanks.

SB_1108

Does anyone know if it is supposed to remain uncovered or covered during those five days at room temperature?

SB_1108

Does anyone know if it is supposed to remain uncovered or covered during those five days at room temperature?

And just to follow up on my question above... My mixture is approximately 3 days old. Is it supposed to smell pretty gross? Because it does!