• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Maddening Creepies in Nerves

Carrigon

I'm not sure it's the same, but what I've got today is this feeling like something is attacking my central nervous system. All the nerves are inflamed and basically, I just want to scream from it. I've been trying to avoid taking meds for it today, but I'm going to have to cave and take something. And whatever I take will just put me down for days. I hate this so much.

Sherby

Sherby
Carrigon
Sounds like your between a rock and a hard place. If you don't mind me asking, would you describe that your nervous system is in a state of hyper arousal i.e. over stimulated and only meds can calm them down. Without your meds will they sort of calm down if you disappeared into a nice cool quiet dark room for a couple of hours.
Without my meds i have to retreat from life as i say into a nice cool quiet dark room for a couple of hours and lie down. This only slightly reduces the effect, but i hate doing it. The alternative is meds. which normally have side effects. Which is worse, pain or side effects.

I don't feel comfortable mentioning the meds i take. The best single med i take on a daily basis which completely puts my nervous system at rest is a sleeping pill called Zopiclone (Zimovane) . In my case is doesn't make me sleepy or tired as i feel that my nervous system is in a terrible state. I have tried loads of meds for this condition and just by chance i found this one. Have been taking them for the last three years, be careful as there additive.

What ever you do i hope you can find a way of controlling this symptom.

Hysterical Woman

My Ancient Minerals magnesium oil is almost out. New one is from Swanson's and is much cheaper. It seems to be the same concentration from the same location. It stings at first. AM and Swanson's also carry mag chloride flakes to use in bath. I want to look into that as well.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/health-library/products/barbara-hendel-magnesium-oil.html

http://www.ancient-minerals.com/

Hi soulfeast,

Good luck with the magnesium oil. This stuff makes a difference for me. I have used both the Ancient Mineral and the Essence of Life brands and like them both. I have not yet tried the swanson brand, for a while they were not forthcoming about the location of where they were getting the mg chloride. It looks from your link that they now dicuss that.

Please let us know how you are doing with it.

Take care,

Hysterical

Attention

I have had the same issue, amongst a myriad of others. I used both types of b12 that FREDDD recommends for over a yr. methyl and diz. B12 is not ur issue. It may help a bit but im sure that your issue comes from a Magnesium deficiency. I have had almost 50 symptoms resolve completely within a matter of weeks.

Hi everyone. Im Kenny. Idk if there are still people who view this thread but I feel like I needed to share this with you all.

I have been suffering from what is apparently a Mag deficiency for most of my life. I'm 31 yrs old now. Over the past 5 yrs everything has gotten worse. I could list my symptoms and share my experiences but they are classic and typical. Anyways, heres what I want to say. im a 6/3 220lbs man.

Ive been taking magnesium glycinate for the past few months. I also recently bought the ancient minerals mg oil.

Here is what i believe.

Magnesiums therapeutic dose is actually much lower than reported. I can only get results when I take 100mg in a 24 hr period. If i take even 200 mgs. I get The rag doll feeling that others here describe. I believe that feeling is actually a magnesium induced magnesium deficiency.

I use kal. each pill is 200mgs so, i have to break them in half. I take half at night. I have had rapid results. everything from breathing to depression to clear healthy fingernails. every time i start to see and feel the results i get restless and want to up the dose. so ill try 200mgs a night,. after a week or so of this, my mag deficiency symptoms begin to return. I don't get diarrhea. I believe that there is some sort of chemical reaction that makes our kidneys excrete higher doses of magnesium when we supplement too much. I also believe that even 200 mgs is too much. THE KEY TO MAGNESIUM SUPPLEMENTATION IS, LESS IS MORE. EVEN A LITTLE TOO MUCH WILL CAUSE MORE HARM THAN GOOD. I am most likely bigger than most of you physically and, I see rapid results at only 100mgs mg gly a night. im sure you will too. IMPORTANT! Ive also noticed this when I take 100mg gly and use about 100mgs of magnesium oil. The symptoms still return. Please all of you. try this, stop everything, all supplements and rx sleep meds. stop calcium potassium. lower ur mag dose to 100mg per day. for 2 weeks. You will be amazed. Magnesium will balance all other electrolytes so taking calcium and potassium is not important. In fact, having these electrolytes roaming around ur system without magnesium to direct them is dangerous. Magnesium is the conductor of all the electrolytes. without it there is chaos. but, it has to be introduced to the system slowly. If ur deficient so are your kidneys. idt that deficient kidneys can handle huge influxes of mag, no matter what type. Over-supplementation will result in a net loss of mag even without diarrhea. I kno its counter intuitive to say take less for more results but, I do know what has worked and what hasn't.

If i had read this somewhere it could have saved me yrs of anguish.

I hope this helps someone.

ps. Thiamine is dependent on magnesium for utilization. So a magnesium deficiency will usually mean a secondary thiamine deficiency. Once you get ur mag levels up look to thiamine for ur neurological symptoms if u still have them.

gregf

My total sympathy for those with this symptom. It is living hell isnt it.

It's nerve damage associated with viral illness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_neuropathy

The key indicators are when it is worse at night or in the extremities, the feet and hands.

For me it grew steadilly worse over a period of a few years.

I also had a bit of eczema on my wrist. When I read up about eczema it is caused
by scratching the itchy part. So what was causing the itchiness. Then I found out about peripheral neuropathy.

I also tried swapping food and medication and worked out my antidepressants were a huge mangifier of symptoms. I could go on and off the AD to control the prickly itch but was left with new problems.

I was on ADs mostly for pain managment and eventually my doc put me on
Norflex for the muscle pain, and while it took a bit of adjusting, I am now free
of ADs.

I think Krill based Omega-3 capsules were magmifying it as well.
I am now on flaxseed oil based omega3 and that is woking nicely.
Now free of prickly itch.

soxfan

This was my first symptom...it happened in my left calf and foot. Started with cramping and then when that subsided it started with the muscle twitching, burning pain, shooting pain, stabbing, vice like etc....This has been my worse symptom along with the fatigue/exhaustion. I have had it non stop for 6 years. Just recently like a year ago it started in my right calf and foot so now I have it on both sides.

When I started Lyme treatement 3 years ago they told me it was the lyme bugs living in my muscles there but now it has "spread" to my other calf. I believe it was caused by the original virus and that was the starting point for me along with the 'flu' symptoms I had.

Nothing works for me and I have tried everything...doctor had me on alpha lipoic acid but I have hypothyroid and I read I shouldn't be taking it.

I totally believe it is nerve damage and I am stuck with it always.....and it use to be worse at night but now it is basically all day long.

C

Cloud

My RLS stopped completely when I quite using Benedryl for sleep.

gregf

Gday Soxfan,

My sympathies, you have it bad.

Try treating it like an allergy as in removing medication or food one at a time.
I found my antidepressent was a big magnifier and krill based omega3 a small magnifier.
Of course only adjust your meds with doctors guidence.

Even if that does not help, hang in there as I have known ME folks who have
had prickly itch ease up considerably after a while.

dannybex

This was my first symptom...it happened in my left calf and foot. Started with cramping and then when that subsided it started with the muscle twitching, burning pain, shooting pain, stabbing, vice like etc....This has been my worse symptom along with the fatigue/exhaustion. I have had it non stop for 6 years. Just recently like a year ago it started in my right calf and foot so now I have it on both sides.

When I started Lyme treatment 3 years ago they told me it was the lyme bugs living in my muscles there but now it has "spread" to my other calf. I believe it was caused by the original virus and that was the starting point for me along with the 'flu' symptoms I had.

Nothing works for me and I have tried everything...doctor had me on alpha lipoic acid but I have hypothyroid and I read I shouldn't be taking it.

I totally believe it is nerve damage and I am stuck with it always.....and it use to be worse at night but now it is basically all day long.

Of course I'm no doctor, but I haven't read much about ALA and hypothyroid problems...in fact just the opposite. But just wanted to stop in and suggest looking into the possibility of chronic mercury or other heavy metal toxicity problems. Several doctors and patients have suggested that so-called 'chronic' lyme almost always has a heavy metal problem behind it.

I've had similar twitching, cramping, and other neuropathy-type symptoms off and on for years, which just started up again about 6 weeks - 2 months ago or so -- and have become really bad at times. The conclusion from some testing, and also the advice of Rich Van K and others, is that the methylation protocol I started at that time, may have released too much stored mercury and arsenic -- that was stuck in the liver due to methylation problems.

So I've stopped it for now, until things calm down, and will be restarting the ALA (lipoic acid) protocol described by Andrew Cutler -- where one takes small amounts of ALA every 3 hours for 3 days, 2 nights, then take 1 week off and start again. I did this about a year and a half ago when i was doing a lot better, and it really seemed to help. It wasn't until this partial methylation cycle block was discovered that we realized how much stored mercury/heavy metals had accumulated over the years.

Mercury affects the pituitary and the hypothalmus, which both affect the thyroid...plus of course mercury (if people aren't able to detoxify properly) can cause all of the neurological symptoms described here.

Might be worth looking into. Just a suggestion of course. :)

*GG*

Hmm, Hey soxfan are you a regular "taker" of the seasonal flu shot? I believe that has thimerosal in it. Have you had yourself tested for mercury?

GG