• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Macrobiotics: An Almost Forgotten Diet Cures Cancer and Other Chronic Diseaseby Paul

*GG*

Fassa, citizen journalist

(NaturalNews) The fact that there are several real accounts of cancer victims healing themselves with the Macrobiotic diet alone is not well known, even among alternative cancer people. A video interview of one such person, Ken Walles, is available on Natural News TV. View it here and see for yourself:
http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=75365...

A Little About Macrobiotics

The Macrobiotic diet was introduced to America in the 1960s by George Ohsawa`s book You Are All Sanpaku, translated to English by William Duffy. Some may know George as Sakurazawa Nyoiti. The term sanpaku means three whites, and it is applied to the white area of one`s eyes showing on three sides of the colored iris. It indicates the sanpaku person has low energy and vitality and his/her nutrition is out of balance.

The balance is associated with the Chinese properties of yin and yang. All foods are categorized as yin, yang, or neutral or balanced. In the 1960s, it was not uncommon to go on an all brown rice diet with the prescribed fermented soy sauce for a week or two in order to break through a spell of very bad health, or just as a cleansing fast.

But there is much more to macrobiotics than just brown rice, although it is a staple. The diet focuses mostly on grains and legumes with some vegetables and sea veggies (seaweeds), very little fruit, and no animal meat, although some macrobiotic dieters allow for a little fish. A diet heavy with grains cuts across the grain of some highly regarded alternative health practitioners and writers who believe grains create inflammation. However, the macrobiotic diet has a long history of health giving success with its focus on whole organic grains.

Some raw food is considered okay, but light cooking, usually steaming or stir frying, is the preferred method of preparing macrobiotic foods. Although there are a few dissidents within macrobiotic circles, the macrobiotic diet mostly shuns supplements.

After its introductory impact in the USA, the health conscious public`s interest in macrobiotics waned. The notion of curing serious disease by diet alone was not understood well then, and as a method of getting healthier and staying healthy, it was considered too strict and severe by most. Their taste buds were not being satisfied and it was too much hassle.

A feature of macrobiotics that should be applied to all eating is chewing longer. It helps digest better and let's you become more aware of when you`ve had enough to eat.

Macrobiotics Today

Macrobiotics remained over recent decades through the efforts of Michio and Gabriel Kushi`s books and their involvements with establishing training centers for macrobiotic principles, food selection, and cooking. Many of those who have adopted the macrobiotic diet as a life style did so after being stricken with life threatening diseases such as cancer or debilitating chronic issues such as Type 2 diabetes, chronic fatigue, and fibromyalgia.

They were magically led to macrobiotics, tried the diet strictly, and recovered quickly and painlessly.

It`s easy to see how those who recovered from those severe situations would continue on the macrobiotic diet as a way of life and encourage others to do so. Some of the cancer recovery testimonies are even more dramatic than the cancer cure story related by Ken Walles in the Natural News TV interview.

You`ll find those testimonials and resources for more detailed information on macrobiotics in the Sources section below.

Sources for more information:

Natural News TV Interview of Ken Walles (in case you haven`t viewed it yet)
http://naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=75365...

A very comprehensive website for macrobiotics
http://www.macrobiotics.co.uk/

The Kushi Institute http://www.kushiinstitute.org/

The Kushi Institute of Europe http://www.macrobiotics.nl/

About the author
Paul Fassa has managed to survive the Standard American Diet (SAD) and his youthful folly by deprogramming gradually from mainstream health ideology and studying holistic health matters informally with his wife while incorporating them into his lifestyle as a vegetarian.

He also practices Chi-Lel Chi Gong, and he is trained as a polarity therapy practitioner. He is dedicated to warning others about the current corruption of food and medicine and guiding others toward a better direction for health. You can visit his blog at http://healthmaven.blogspot.com

ukxmrv

I used to have a flatmate who followed a macrobiotic diet. She used to cook for me (very nice of her) but the food made my stomach and general ME symptoms much worse. I simply could not digest the food and deteriorated. In particular my stomach and body became much more painful and swollen.

I've not seen any signs of people with cancer being cured by it. My flatmate was quite evangelical and tried to "cure" a mutual friend with cancer. He didn't find it useful and very sadly died anyway. Obviously it was complicated and he had other unsuccessful treatments but making claims like this puts a lot of un-needed extra pressure on people with cancer (as it did with my ME).

Not to be a kill joy but the guy who founded the Mac. Diet had a wife who died of cancer. Very sad! I am not sure I would use it.

lancelot

on the tv show "Incurables" on veria tv(cable) , they consistently show cancer survivors most of whom had stage 4 and only months to live being completely cured through the macrobiotic diet.

It is true that the wife and daughter of the founder of the macrobiotic diet died of cancer. the wife blamed it on her type A personality and taking on too much stress which did not allow her body to heal on the macrobiotic diet.

Tulip

I would not do it, Gwyneth Paltrow has been doing the macro diet for years and was recently diagnosed with osteopenia, a precursor to osteoporosis - directly linked to the diet. Also a well known Australian actress followed the diet for years through her struggle with breast and then bone cancer and still died. Vitamin d defiency seems to be a common theme with the diet, it is also filled with soy products which are notorious for causing a whole range of health problems including thyroid disease. Vitamin d deficiency can cause cancer.

It's a dangerous and nutritionally deficient diet.

Despite anecdotal reports to the contrary reported in Unconventional Cancer Treatments,[22] medical professionals do not consider that there is evidence that a macrobiotic diet is useful as a cure for cancer. The American Cancer Society strongly urges people with cancer not to use a dietary program as an exclusive or primary means of treatment,[2] and many long-term practitioners of the diet, including Michio Kushi's wife, Aveline, and daughter Lilly, died of cancer. Michio Kushi himself developed cancer and in 2004 had a tumor removed surgically from his intestines.

Victoria

I vaguely remember the macrobiotic diet when I was young. Unfortunately, many of the diet theories in my youth (I am uhmmm.......56........Gee, I'd forgotten how old I am), have now been disproved as being incomplete.

As with all things, time & ongoing research changes theories.

From all the dietary advice & evidence I have studied in the last 25 years, I believe there is no right diet for everybody.

There is only the right diet for you, at this time in your life.

Everybody is an individual & unique. One needs to be educated & pro-active. I believe we all need to work it out ourselves via trial & error.

I certainly do not question the people who claim macrobiotics cured their cancer, because I don't know the full facts about that individual & their overall health condition. Maybe macrobiotics were only a part of their healing process. Maybe it was 5 % macrobiotics & 95% faith healing in one person. Maybe it was 95% macrobiotics & 5% deep restorative sleep in the next person. Maybe it was 50% macrobiotics & 50% luck in someone else.

Brown rice, wholemeal bread & in more recent years lentils, beans & other high fibre foods have caused excruciating bowel pain & diarrhoea for me. I haven't been able to eat wholemeal anything for a very long time.

Having said that, there are many people who do well & thrive on these foods. My vegetarian friends do (although one vegetarian has become dairy intolerant in recent years).

If it only took a certain diet (macrobiotic perhaps?) to cure cancer, then nobody would have cancer in modern times. I find cancer to be a curious malady. It's been around for a very long time. It affects different people in different ways. Some are cured & some are not.

I bought some brown lentils about 3 weeks ago for the first time in many, many years & although I haven't cooked them yet, I'm about to experiment & see if they still have an adverse affect.

I have to have a very finely balanced level of fibre - & wholefoods, in general, are not it.

Just can't quite remember how my stomach reacted 40 years ago. Only how it reacted in the last 15-20 years. I certainly like vegetarian food, but likes aside, I need meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, nuts & seeds to be at my best (not grains & legumes).

LaurelW

I have personally met more than ten people who are still alive many years after their doctors said they would be dead of cancer due to their following the macrobiotic diet. I myself feel much healthier when I follow it. Everybody's different.