• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MacaFem- Ladies and Hormones

Mij

I'm wondering if any of the ladies here are experiencing insomnia due to perimenopause.
I'm really not sure whether my insomnia is CFS related or perimenopause since my sleep in general has not been too affected from being ill for a couple of decades.

I am unable to initiate sleep, I can not fall asleep at all since one month. I don't get hot flashes but I have gotten a few over the years but in general this is not a problem. I take 25mg of trazodone for sleep and it works well but I feel I need to address the underlying issue if this is perimenopause related.

I was reading about a supplement called MacaFem, it does not contain any hormones.
""Macafem nutrients help restore natural hormones in women. Unlike hormone drugs, which are basically resumed in taking synthetic hormones, Macafem acts totally different in your body. It nourishes and stimulates your own natural hormone production, by inducing the optimal functioning of the pituitary and endocrine glands".

The only problem is that I'm nervous it might affect my brain differently because of CFS. Has anyone tried this? I just want to get my sleep back to normal.

thank you.

leaves

why dont you get a hormone check up and see what is low? you can then pursue bioidentical hormone treatment if you want

ukxmrv

On their website it says

((start))
Botanical Classification: Lepidium Meyenii belongs to the botanical family of Brassicaceae, which has over 3000 species throughout the world. Lepidium meyenii is related with mustard, radishes and turnips. Click here to read more about botanical classification of Lepidium meyenii.
((end))

I'd be personally cautious over taking any supplements from the Brassica family as I react very badly to similar veges if I take them. If you search for Lapidium and CFS on the internet you will find some comments. All the usual sort of claims that people make when trying to sell something to us.

From the internet content it appears to be a remedy being sold for a lot of different health conditons, one website described it as energising for CFS, which would concern me. Any herbs or things sold as energising may just make us crash big time. Also "energising" doesn't sound very useful for insomnia.

Hopefully people here will have some real experience and can advise you. It's hard to tell.

Mij

Leaves, yes I will see my doctor to have my hormone levels tested if the insomnia persists but for now I'm not feeling like making an appointment. I thought I could take a break for seeing him for a while but things are always changing so back I will go.

XKMRV, I agree I don't do well with energising type supplements either. I had a terrible time when I took ginseng years ago, it made me jittery and caused insomnia!

The weird thing since taking trazodone is that I don't feel like I constantly have the flu, achiness, sore throat/ears etc, it seems other immune type symptoms that I normally have are gone. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
They key is to find a VERY good doctor that knows about blood tests for hormones etc. Not just estrogen. I have a doctor that tests my hormones twice a year. I am on bioidenical compounded hormones. I take Triest, progesterone and testosterone (tiny bit) gel and compounded thyroid, pregenenalone and 7 Keto DHEA. They have been amazing for sleep as well as magnesium and 5HTP etc. My blood testing helps get hormones and other things I need all in balance. I take lots of good supplements all guided by my doctors.

maca

My experiences with Maca were not good. The first time I ever tried it, I had a minor crash.

I then tried it again after spending 6 months working on gut health. I didnt crash this time which was good. Tiny doses had no effect. Just a little more caused insomnia, jittery feelings, agitation. It seemed to be either all or nothing with me and Maca.

Back