• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

M.E. PAIN by Dr. Bell

Sing

Thank you for the reference to Dr. Bell's article. I wish I had a helpful doctor, that there were good research along these lines! I have the most amazingly low blood pressure on standing. I crumple while sitting. And ache all the time. My life is tethered closely to physical limitations which become limitations in almost all other areas too. Living in a social world, and a medical one too, which comprehends not is nearly a recipe for insanity and destruction. I have no difficulty understanding the despair which led Andrea nearly to shoot herself.

But back to the medical analysis. Once again the Autonomic Nervous System is being fingered. Here is the orchestra conductor for so many bodily processes that we have trouble with, and the hundreds of elements that we try to learn about and manage individually, like that story about the blind men tapping around the elephant, trying to describe what they are finding.

Can't we have some medical researchers who study, comprehend and work with, the Big Picture in ME, who can find treatments which work with the overall conductor, like the Autonomic Nervous System?