• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lymphatic Massage gave me a fever?

hunter1899

I had mono from January to April. And tested positive for 3 mycotoxins. Been on binders and other supplements. Heard lymphatic massage helps some folks with CFS. Had one very light treatment done and no bad effects. Maybe felt a little better after. But then I had another treatment with a little more pressure and the next day I woke up with chills and a 101 degree fever.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

Blue Jay

It sounds as if that little more pressure was too much for your body to cope with right now, @hunter1899. I've never had lymphatic massage but when I've had any kind of treatment I've had to go slow and steady, gradually build up and stop at something that suits me.

hunter1899

It sounds as if that little more pressure was too much for your body to cope with right now, @hunter1899. I've never had lymphatic massage but when I've had any kind of treatment I've had to go slow and steady, gradually build up and stop at something that suits me.

You think from the mold toxins being released or old remnants of virus? Both?

Celandine

Yes. My daughter had this when she first started Perrin technique osteopathy, which is basically lymphatic massage. We took it as a sign that something was happening and that it was worth continuing with it.

humanrising

Before I became too ill and broken to work, I did massage. It is not uncommon to feel "sick and sore" from Swedish massage and especially Lymphatic massage.
If you have someone who is good and doing it correctly ( someone trained and certified in it, not someone who did a "day training") they know to work carefully and slowly since you are priming pumping the lymphatic system. I would love to do lymphatic massage but I had real difficulty finding someone properly trained in my area.
I would think we would be even more likely to have flu symptoms due to not being as active or upright as most healthy people.
Massage therapists are trained to tell their clients to drink plenty of water after a massage for this very reason. If you plan to continue, I would let the therapist know and If you didn't drink water, drink plenty of H20 (I would consider adding some electrolytes to it) and hopefully the release of toxins won't affect you so dramatically.
keep us posted! take care :)

Yes. My daughter had this when she first started Perrin technique osteopathy, which is basically lymphatic massage. We took it as a sign that something was happening and that it was worth continuing with it.

@Celandine can I ask how long after each massage your daughter had fever-like symptoms? I tried giving myself a lymphatic massage and symptoms came on around 24hrs after.

Also I'd love to know if Perrin technique has continued to help?

Celandine

Hi @Donsboig. My daughter only spiked a fever after her first treatment. It happened within an hour or two of the treatment and subsided by the next day. She had Perrin treatment for a little over a year. Last treatment was about 16 months ago now. Perrin technique involves chest/breast area massage and daughter's osteopath didn't feel it was appropriate for him to do this on teenaged female patients so he taught her to do this herself. He held off introducing this for quite a few months into the treatment and it was the other thing that caused a big reaction in her. I'm not talking about any kind of major chest massage here. It involved a few strokes on each side of the chest. This would cause a crash for a day or two. Eventually she worked her way through it to the point where I guess everything was drained and she no longer had the crash symptoms. Interestingly, getting to the other side of this marked a real upswing in her wellness.

Osteopath recommended milk thistle to support the liver to help with the detox symptoms .

I feel like Perrin Technique helped because we started it very soon after she got ill; she's young and otherwise healthy; and we combined it with lots of other stuff like getting a POTS diagnosis and treatment, taking daily liquorice powder in plant milk, Normast PEA supplements (big help with pain) and letting her stop school as soon as we understood what was going on, etc. She started Perrin before any of the other things and we saw slow improvement from that alone.