• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lumbar sympathetic blocks

kangaSue

Can't help with info about lumbar sympathetic blocks but just wanted to ask if you have been checked out for a vascular blood flow issue causing the chronic leg pain?

I ask because, whille I don't have a leg pain issue from it myself, I have renal Nutcracker Syndrome (NCS) and this can be a 'mystery cause' of leg pain. Or if not this, then iliac vein compression (May-Thurner Syndrome) can be another (standalone) mystery cause of leg pain, and not uncommon to also occur as a comorbidity in those with NCS as well.

RYO

My large arteries and arterioles are all normal. Similar to what long covid patients describe, I have a pain and temperature sense dysregulation. After a hot shower I often experience a lacy skin rash over my legs. Sometimes my feet either look white or flushed after getting out of bed.

Perhaps viruses can affect/alter the autonomic nervous system permanently. Does this also partially explain changes to CNS interoception? Is this the reason why some MECFS patients respond to but are not cured by benzodiazepines?

I hope more researchers study this possibility further but in the meantime I am trying to gauge the risk of trying a procedure that may alleviate some chronic misery.

Can't help with info about lumbar sympathetic blocks but just wanted to ask if you have been checked out for a vascular blood flow issue causing the chronic leg pain?

I ask because, whille I don't have a leg pain issue from it myself, I have renal Nutcracker Syndrome (NCS) and this can be a 'mystery cause' of leg pain. Or if not this, then iliac vein compression (May-Thurner Syndrome) can be another (standalone) mystery cause of leg pain, and not uncommon to also occur as a comorbidity in those with NCS as well.

How did you get the diagnosis of Nutcracker Syndrome? Are you doing any treatment? Thanks

kangaSue

Nutcracker Syndrome (NCS) for me is plainly evident in all of my imaging - renal and mesenteric doppler u/s, CT scan with or without contrast, conventional angiogram/venogram.

I also have Pelvic Congestion Syndrome as well though which also highlights in imaging (massively dilated left ovarian vein and pelvic varices). PCS) does commonly occur in NCS (in about 80% of cases) however. In those who don't have PCS from NCS, the lumbar vein is often seen to be dilated in imaging instead, but can be dilated too in some cases with PCS.