• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lower Dose Ampligen

LaurelW

Somebody I was talking to suggested that even if it doesn't get approved, the FDA couldn't shut it down completely since it's in the category of drugs for conditions where there is no other treatment.

dannybex

i dont think ampligen will be scrapped completely at any time..its too valuable. its wide spectrum and anti-smallpox, right? the govt is always trying to develop small pox drugs in case of bioterrorism. though i think cmx157 will be good for smallpox....not sure

Yes, I'm not sure either of course...but it is very, very odd that they've tried to promote it for many different uses over the years, yet it still hasn't been approved for any of them.

???

Daffodil

maybe its the fact that no one knows how it works, that is causing the problem. have we ever had a drug like that?

*GG*

Part of this may be due to what Joey said, that 'they don't really know how or why it works' (when it does), but keep in mind it was rejected for approval by the FDA just two years ago (after a 5 year process).

I believe I heard that how Aspirin works is not even known? And how long has that stuff been around, about 100 years?

GG

slayadragon

It would help if the drug worked consistently, rather than just helping a few patients a lot and many patients not at all.

It's my belief that most of the people who are approved for Ampligen are living in conditions of extreme toxicity, which is what's causing them to be experiencing the high levels of inflammation that cause pathogens to thrive.

Even if the Ampligen modulates this somewhat, reducing the inflammation and allowing their systems to target the bugs better, it may not be enough to overcome the handicap of the inflammatory toxins.

What we need is a trial where only people who are living in "okay" conditions (not extreme avoidance, just a decently non-moldy house in a place without horrific levels of outdoor toxins) use the drug. If they all improved a lot, it would suggest a strategy for how we might better use the drug and (thus) get it approved.

Best, Lisa

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
It would help if the drug worked consistently, rather than just helping a few patients a lot and many patients not at all.

It's my belief that most of the people who are approved for Ampligen are living in conditions of extreme toxicity, which is what's causing them to be experiencing the high levels of inflammation that cause pathogens to thrive.

Even if the Ampligen modulates this somewhat, reducing the inflammation and allowing their systems to target the bugs better, it may not be enough to overcome the handicap of the inflammatory toxins.

What we need is a trial where only people who are living in "okay" conditions (not extreme avoidance, just a decently non-moldy house in a place without horrific levels of outdoor toxins) use the drug. If they all improved a lot, it would suggest a strategy for how we might better use the drug and (thus) get it approved.

Best, Lisa

i suppose its not just how the drug works but also the right diagnosis of infection/s