• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Oxalate Diet ... experience?

joshi81

Hi someone had experience with low oxalate diet? and... ho i can see if oxalates are a concern for me? ... looking at an urine analisis (the classic one not the organic acid urine) i saw a moderate quantity of oxalates present... is that the sign i have problem with oxalates? have someone experience?

helen1

You're right to think about oxalic acid. It damages mitochondrial membranes and is a cause of gout and kidney stones and pain in the joints. I think you need high levels to be concerned though. Why are you concerned if you had only moderate quantities? I had very high levels in an organic acids test, so I was concerned and now stay away from spinach, kale, chard, etc.

helen1

I think you would know if you had a gout attack. I thought I'd broken a bone in my toe and got sent for an x-ray. It's very painful and you can't walk on it. Is that the kind of symptom you've had? Gout is not necessarily caused by high oxalate levels though. I think high levels of purines is the other cause. If your oxalates are moderate, maybe that's not what's causing you pain.
The big toe and outer ankle bone are the two most common places for a gout attack. Is that where you have pain?
The benefit I hope for is no more gout attacks!