• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low energy, low mood? Phosphorous might be key (hypophosphotemia may be triggered by thiamine - refeeding syndrome)

pattismith

no weight loss for me with phosphate supplementation (unfortunately!) Though low phosphate made me so tired, I could see if someone's energy suddenly increased with phosphate supplementation that they might become more active and thus lose weight.
@Mary Did you check if your low phosphate may be related to blood alkalosis (either respiratory alkalosis or metabolic alkalosis). Do you know your blood bicarbonate and breath rate?

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary Did you check if your low phosphate may be related to blood alkalosis (either respiratory alkalosis or metabolic alkalosis). Do you know your blood bicarbonate and breath rate?
@pattismith - no to all of that. I wouldn't even know how to check my blood bicarbonate though it might be interesting to know what it is. I believe my low phosphate was related to thiamine. I was "ok" (as okay as one can be with ME/CFS) before I started taking thiamine - at baseline. When I took thiamine, within a day I had a noticeable surge in energy, really nice surge. And then a day later was hit with severe fatigue. This happened to me twice. The first time I tried thiamine I had to stop it because although the energy surge was great, the following fatigue was too severe.

The second time I tried it, I figure out that the resulting fatigue after the energy surge was due to hypophosphatemia, due to refeeding syndrome, and once I supplemented with phosphate, the fatigue dissipated. So there was no need for me to investigate this further. I've been able to take thiamine ever since, and I still take a phosphate supplement about 2 x a week. It's very similar to what happened when I started taking methylfolate - nice increase in energy, followed by severe fatigue due to potassium tanking. I started taking potassium, and was able to keep taking methylfolate, and have had to take potassium ever since.

pattismith

@pattismith - how do you test your blood bicarbonate? I'd like to know what mine is. Thanks!
this is quite a common blood test, usually prescribed in a basal electrolytes panel (sodium/potassium/chloride/bicarbonate), or a bigger electrolyte panel like that:

1614455115952.png