• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Dose Naltrexone - help for IBS?

Diva55

Although this small study was in 2006 it's interesting that LDN can be of help with IBS.

Low-dose naltreoxone for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome: a pilot study.

Department of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases, 6 Weizmann Street, Tel-Aviv, 64239, Israel.

Preclinical studies have shown that a very low dose of naltreoxone hydrochloride (NTX), an opiate antagonist, can block excitatory opioid receptors without affecting inhibitory opioid receptors, resulting in analgesic potency without side effects.

The present study assessed the efficacy and safety of PTI-901 (low-dose NTX) treatment in Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) patients.

Forty-two IBS patients participated in an open-label study. Participants received 0.5 mg PTI-901/day for 4 weeks and were evaluated during baseline, during treatment, and at 4-week follow-up.

Patients recorded degree of abdominal pain, stool urgency, consistency, and frequency.

Primary outcomes were number of pain-free days and overall symptom relief, evaluated by a global assessment score. Data were analyzed per protocol.

Global assessment improved in 76% of 42 patients. During treatment, the mean weekly number of pain-free days increased from 0.5+/-1 to 1.25+/-2.14 (P=0.011). There were no significant adverse reactions. PTI-901 improves pain and overall feeling, and is well tolerated by IBS patients.

A large, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study is justified.

PMID: 17080248 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17080248

tamrakat

tamrakat
I've used Low Dose Naltrexone for six months now. I was in the Stanford Phase II LDN for Fibromyalgia Clinical Trial last year. It does help a lot. I was on 4.5 mg and am now going down to 3 mg. I felt great for 3 months and it took about a month for me to start feeling good. I felt about 80% recovered. The last two months it hasn't been working as well and Dr. Younger at Stanford suggested I go down on my dosage as sometimes there is a buildup of naltrexone which causes too much of an opiate blockade preventing it from working correctly on the opiate receptors. I'd recommend LDN to anyone who's suffering with these diseases. I've been dx with CFS, fibromyalgia, & IBS. LDN is the most effective thing I've tried since I got really sick 3 years ago.

Diva55

Hi Tamrakat
Wow. That's great that you got so much help.
Has it helped specifically for IBS? or was it just overall general help. Could you post your story with LDN on the LDN thread which is in the General Treatment Section.

If you don't mind I'll post your response here on the LDN thread.

Best wishes
Diva

I've used Low Dose Naltrexone for six months now. I was in the Stanford Phase II LDN for Fibromyalgia Clinical Trial last year. It does help a lot. I was on 4.5 mg and am now going down to 3 mg. I felt great for 3 months and it took about a month for me to start feeling good. I felt about 80% recovered. The last two months it hasn't been working as well and Dr. Younger at Stanford suggested I go down on my dosage as sometimes there is a buildup of naltrexone which causes too much of an opiate blockade preventing it from working correctly on the opiate receptors. I'd recommend LDN to anyone who's suffering with these diseases. I've been dx with CFS, fibromyalgia, & IBS. LDN is the most effective thing I've tried since I got really sick 3 years ago.