• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Dose Naltrexone - Discussion with Prime Minister

Diva55

I read this on the Yahoo LDN group - great news! (I posted this also on the LDN thread but thought it warranted it's on thread)

In case you're unaware LDN is used (when people can actually get hold of it) for a wide variety of illnesses including MS, Cancer, HIV but also FM & CFS.
-----------------------------------------------------------

It was just announced on the Facebook LDNNow site that Jayne Crocker was able to spend some time this am speaking with the Prime Minister of the UK Gordon Brown about getting LDN available as a front line treatment.

This is wonderful news. It looks like LDN is on its way at last. By the way, does anybody in the US have any idea of how to contact President Obama? If they can do this in the UK, why can't it be done in the USA?
Judy H
To better health through knowledge
Started taking LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) on 1/21/2009 for Fibromyalgia, Hypothyroid, PCOS and Restless Legs
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/LDNforFibro/

jace

Off the fence
Brilliant! I have just today decided to try and get my GP to prescribe Naltrexone to me - I know how to 'step' on it for the low dose. It's crazy that one of the really helpful (to some not all) medications is not easily available, even though it is cheap and pretty safe and well tested.

Jenny

Diva - was she asking Brown for LDN to be a front-line treatment specifically for ME, or for other conditions?

Jenny

I have tried low dose Naltrexone in the past. I didn't notice any pros or cons with it, but I'd like to try it again. I got it compounded at a low dose.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have tried low dose Naltrexone in the past. I didn't notice any pros or cons with it, but I'd like to try it again. I got it compounded at a low dose.

Many people find they have to "hit" the right dose to have a therapeutic effect. Others feel it immediately at a very low dose. It is one of those meds that often requires some fiddling. For me, the good effects were progressive as I raised the dose.

Sushi

valia

Many people find they have to "hit" the right dose to have a therapeutic effect. Others feel it immediately at a very low dose. It is one of those meds that often requires some fiddling. For me, the good effects were progressive as I raised the dose.

Sushi

Hello Sushi, can I ask what those good effects were, what improvements you felt?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hello Sushi, can I ask what those good effects were, what improvements you felt?

For me, increase in energy, better sleep, and much better immune function. Another friend has gone from pretty much house-bound to able to drive again and go out a few times a week. It isn't the same for everyone, though, and some people don't seem to notice any difference.

Sushi

valia

For me, increase in energy, better sleep, and much better immune function. Another friend has gone from pretty much house-bound to able to drive again and go out a few times a week. It isn't the same for everyone, though, and some people don't seem to notice any difference.

Sushi

Thanks Sushi,

I have been thinking about it for quite some time now, I barely leave the house and had to give up driving 2 years ago. I have Lyme too and I have heard some are taking it for that, but any increase in energy from my current empty tank state would certainly be worth giving it a try.

Diva55

Diva - was she asking Brown for LDN to be a front-line treatment specifically for ME, or for other conditions?

Jenny
Hi Jenny

I think it was for ALL illnesses that have been seen to be helped by LDN - I think that's whats meant by "front line treatment" but just guessing at this as the info is scant.

I've been reading the Yahoo LDN for Fibro group as I have FM / CFS & not ME so can't give you specific info on ME. There is an LDN thread on this board under General Treatment Section that may give you more info.

This was posted today by Jayne Crocker who spoke to the Gordon Brown:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Judy and yes I did speak with our Prime Minister today re LDN - he was very serious about it. It wasn't all smiles and laughter. Thank you for bringing this awareness to the LDN for fibro group - it has a huge role to play in getting LDN available as front line treatment first and foremost. So for those who haven't signed up to the EU petition, please do so, link below my signature.

Thank you.

Jayne Crocker

www.LDNNow.com

Important! Please sign our LDN petition to the European Parliament by clicking here

tel: +44 (0) 7877 492 669

Dr Chris Steele MBE, talking about LDN

LDNNow, a patient and friend led organisation (so not a charity) with no funding and no affiliation to any company or organisation, but rather a group of concerned individuals focussed on improving the health of those who suffer from the many diseases and conditions that LDN treats.

Diva55

Brilliant! I have just today decided to try and get my GP to prescribe Naltrexone to me - I know how to 'step' on it for the low dose. It's crazy that one of the really helpful (to some not all) medications is not easily available, even though it is cheap and pretty safe and well tested.

Hi Jace
I've been down that route - trying to get my GP to precribe LDN. If you have problems with this PM me & I can give you some info to hopefully help.
Best wishes

Jenny

Hi Diva

Thanks for your reply. I think it's important to know exactly what Brown is being asked to do. How is 'illnesses that have been seen to be helped' defined? What evidence would be needed? I gather there's more evidence for its effectiveness in some other conditions than with ME. It's very unusual for a drug to be prescribed for a wide range of illnesses without clear evidence and GPs are increasingly reluctant to prescribe anything 'off label'.

So I'm worried that GPs will be told they can prescribe it for some conditions but that once again ME is left out in the cold.

Like jace, I'd be grateful for any advice on how to get my GP to prescribe it.

Many thanks.

Jenny

Diva55

Hi Diva

Thanks for your reply. I think it's important to know exactly what Brown is being asked to do. How is 'illnesses that have been seen to be helped' defined? What evidence would be needed? I gather there's more evidence for its effectiveness in some other conditions than with ME. It's very unusual for a drug to be prescribed for a wide range of illnesses without clear evidence and GPs are increasingly reluctant to prescribe anything 'off label'.

So I'm worried that GPs will be told they can prescribe it for some conditions but that once again ME is left out in the cold.

Like jace, I'd be grateful for any advice on how to get my GP to prescribe it.

Many thanks.

Jenny

Hi Jenny
I don't know anymore details than I posted. I think there are various Yahoo groups for LDN. I have joined the FM and General one which is mainly focused on MS. You may want to look into what groups apply to you. Also look at the LDNnow site as there may be more deatils there as I haven't followed it up.

Send me a message to remind me that you want details as I am very busy today and won't be able to get back till later.

Best wishes

This is great news. I recently added LDN to my long-term antibiotics (private prescription) and it seems to be having a good effect already. I even went out for a little jog (well, jog/ walk) last week! :eek: So far it hasn't backfired, fingers crossed... Any "proper" exercise would have been unthinkable a few months ago.