• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low cholesterol

Hallo,

I have just got nu bloodtest back and I have very op cholesterol. I read about cholesterol and apparently low cholesterol and depression, suicidal ideation, trouble maling decisions, etc... have been linked to low cholesterol. All of which i have. The studies about low cholesterol are pretty scary so why always the focus in high chloesterol. Anyway how can i fix it? I read in the forum history andsaw aome information but is there new information. Increasing bile, manganese and riboflavine, hormones,... what has worked?

Wishful

There's are different types of cholesterol; some (HDL) with beneficial effects, some (LDL)with bad effects. As you age, it's common for the HDL to drop a bit. My doctor reported that mine was low, so I should take statins or omega-3 oil. I did my own research and found that statins were a bit scary, and fish oil had no real evidence to support its claimed benefits, and that moderate exercise was far better at reducing heart disease risk than either of those other options.

I suggest doing a bit more reading about cholesterol. By that I mean in scientific papers rather than health product marketing magazines. The latter source has lots of misinformation.

I'll say, eat eggs! They will not only fix your cholesterol, but they have plenty of nutrients cfs patients might need. When I included more eggs into my diet, I started feeling much better. I don't know exactly what I was lacking, but the improvement was undeniable.
To be clear, it's just my opinion, I'm not a doctor.