• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Cholesterol-Does Anyone Else Have Low Cholesterol?

Misfit Toy

Okay, @Valentijn and @alex3619 -I am going to respond more elaborately later. Just got home from the hospital. Was called this AM for my mom. She will be fine, but has bronchitis and a-fib and her heart was 170 bpm so they admitted her. Was there for the day.

OMG...I AM BEAT.

Anyway, should I post my whole genovations test? I can't scan it, but I can do it by hand...typing.

Valentijn, I really need to do what you are saying regarding the 23 and Me because I have yet to do it. I find that so intense and confusing. MY brain is not what it was and I am exhausted. I remember you asked for it before.

Thank God for prednisone. I would have never made it through today without it. It gave me the energy to muster through today..the hospital and having to go get her things.

I am going back to the hospital for a little bit tomorrow and then Monday I have to go to the immunologist. Maybe I will ask him to do some cholesterol testing on me because I haven't had it done in awhile.

I don't have much glutathione, Alex and the worst part is because of my liver test..."Genovations" gives this medicine profile of what I should and should not take and glutathione is something that is a definite NO. Interesting!! I can't process it, it says.

Thank God for prednisone. It gave me the energy I needed to get through this day. I had to go get her things and then head on over and was there for a long time...without the steroid, would not have happened.

alex3619

"Genovations" gives this medicine profile of what I should and should not take and glutathione is something that is a definite NO. Interesting!! I can't process it, it says.
You cannot process it for liver detox, that does not mean you don't need it for other things. Catch-22. You need expert advice, real experts. (sigh)

Valentijn

I don't have much glutathione, Alex and the worst part is because of my liver test..."Genovations" gives this medicine profile of what I should and should not take and glutathione is something that is a definite NO. Interesting!! I can't process it, it says.
I'd be interested to hear their reasoning for glutathione and it's precursors (cysteine and/or glycine) being contra-indicated.

GSTM1 itself has nothing to do with producing glutathione, it just uses existing glutathione to detoxify one subset of substances. There are about two-dozen other GST genes which use glutathione to detoxify other substances.

Gingergrrl

Just got home from the hospital. Was called this AM for my mom. She will be fine, but has bronchitis and a-fib and her heart was 170 bpm so they admitted her. Was there for the day.

@Misfit Toy I am sorry to hear about your mom and I have on a few occasions had my HR in the 170's (not from a-fib) but know how scary that feels. Hoping you can get some much needed rest.

PeterPositive

Last time I checked my total cholesterol was 125. A few years earlier, and with much less health problems, it was 132. HDL is 56.

My lab says that any value of tot. cholesterol < 200 is fine :rolleyes:
And HDL should be > 40 ( for men )

Does anyone know the values of healthy hamsters? :D
(See my previous post if you don't get it)

Misfit Toy

Okay....here are my GENOVATIONS RESULTS-- @Valentijn or anyone else who knows this....

Phase 1 Dextox liver panel

CYPIA1-big RED dot next to it.
CYP1B1-big RED dot next to it.
CYP@C19-big RED Dot next to it.

Phase II Liver Dextox

Methylation--
+-COMT SNP location-VI58M

Acetylation (N-acetyl transferase)

+-NAT2 I114T

+-NAT2 G286E

Glutathione Conjugation

GSTM1-Absent
++ GSTP1 I105V

Oxidative Protection---looks fine

Says I am a slow metabolizer and that drugs...I usually need less of the dose that is prescribed. I don't clear toxins well, it says. Increased risk of chemical sensitivity.

Valentijn

@Misfit Toy - NAT2 I114T shouldn't be causing any real problems. Most people have +/-, so you're just normal for that one, even if there is a faster version :D G286E +/- is also somewhat slow, but again, not particularly uncommon, and is very common in Asian populations.

COMT V158M +/- is also the most common and "average" version.

GSTM1 null is also extremely common, so shouldn't be causing any unusual problems by itself.

GSTP1 I105V +/+ is associated with some increased risk factors, but it has a pretty small effect. And again - very common!

Regarding CYP, those are genes, not SNPs. So it's impossible to guess why those are flagged, unless they give more information.

So far I'm not seeing anything to get excited or worried about.

Misfit Toy

@Valentijn -thank you! this is so strange. That GYN I mentioned earlier acted like I was hopeless back in 2008, so I believed her. She made it sound like there was no hope for me with my liver.

The only thing is..I do wonder..I am so sensitive to meds. Sometimes I am okay on them, sometimes not. So, I wonder if there is something to do with the liver. I have reactions to things out of nowhere, but that may have nothing to do with the liver.

Valentijn

The only thing is..I do wonder..I am so sensitive to meds. Sometimes I am okay on them, sometimes not. So, I wonder if there is something to do with the liver. I have reactions to things out of nowhere, but that may have nothing to do with the liver.
Well, there can be something going on with processing some drugs, but certainly not all of them. It's just looking like it's fairly mild and typical, rather than catastrophic or even remotely untreatable.

Misfit Toy

@Valentijn -this test was done back in 2007, so things may have changed since then. It was $500 out of pocket to have done and I am not so sure I want it done again. Will try and figure out 23 and Me info.

Valentijn

@Valentijn -this test was done back in 2007, so things may have changed since then. It was $500 out of pocket to have done and I am not so sure I want it done again. Will try and figure out 23 and Me info.
The genetic stuff would all be the same ... or is there additional non-genetic data indicating liver function and drug response?

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
Hi there @Misfit Toy. I have MCS and lots of problems with sensitivities to different drugs and supplements.

I found Caledonia's document "The SNPs Interpretation Guide" helpful in trying to understand my 23andme results, which I ran through genetic genie. Although your results are through Genovations, you may still find some useful information in Caledonia's document eg it talks about CYP1B1, CYP1A1 etc. It also has links for Wikipedia where you can find out more about drugs which might cause you problems.

@caledonia has now helpfully attached this and other useful documents to a recent blog. A big thank you to her!

Hope your mother is doing better. Best wishes, Andy

Tammy

Did your lab results come with any recommendations? When I had a detoxification liver profile..............it came back that I had overactive phase 1 and a poor phase 2..............they labeled it as a pathological detoxifier! Anyway...........I'm looking at my notes.......and I have the recommendations for slowing down phase 1 and things that help support phase 2. I don't have my results anymore............a lot of my really good tests were ruined in a flood. Anyway............I'm not familiar with your results................do they mean you have overactive phase 1 and poor phase 2??????????? I think I might have gotten the recommendations from a manual that was sent with my results to the Doctor.......but I ended up getting the manual somehow which was really nice.

alex3619

The only thing is..I do wonder..I am so sensitive to meds.
Meds get converted in the liver.

The first issue is that detox rates can determine how fast you lose the med from the bloodstream. If its too fast you need more meds, if its too slow you need less meds.

What is often not appreciated is that some meds are not actually meds. They are precursors. They rely on the conjugation paths in the liver to convert the precursor to the actual med. I think acetaminophen is like that, its inactive till the liver processes it, and is inactived after a different liver process. I think activation requires glycine, and inactivation requires glutathione, but I am unaware of the details. Other drugs might have different activation and deactivation pathways.

john66

I have super high cholesterol-went to a genetecist to see if my son inherited this particular disorder, she sent me for a particular gene test which will take a few months. I tolod her when I went through my West Point physical, they said my cholesterol was an immune system problem. She didnt seem to think it made much sense, she did say that the statin meds will make my CFS worse because they will lower the amount of ATP coming out of each cell.