• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low arachidonic acid level - effects on immune system and energy?

Mary

Moderator Resource
So my doctor checked my omega 3 and omega 6 levels, all were within range, albeit on the low side of normal, except for my arachidonic acid, which was 3.8, out of a range of 5.2 - 12.9%, so definitely low!

I knew nothing about AA, and read it's an omega 6 fatty acid, can cause inflammation but is also needed for a healthy immune response and other things. And here's an interesting article on arachidonic acid by Self-Hacked: Arachidonic Acid In Inflammation + Beneficial Roles - SelfHacked

The article mentions this:
Arachidonic acid supplementation (1 g/day) increased energy levels (anaerobic capacity) and reduced inflammation but had no significant effects on muscle mass or strength in 31 resistance-trained males
which links to this study: Effects of arachidonic acid supplementation on training adaptations in resistance-trained males - PubMed (nih.gov) and goes on to say:

A common assertion of AA supplementation is that it causes muscle inflammation, but a study involving 20 healthy males showed this is not always the case. Additionally, AA supplementation (1.5 g/day) for four weeks had positive effects on the development and fat levels of muscles

I've been fighting a sinus/cold infection for over 4 weeks, I get better then relapse, over and over, it's unusual for me to be sick this long - am throwing all the usual stuff at it, andrographis, echinacea, goldenseal, oregano oil, garlic, probably a few other things! But maybe my low arachidonic acid is part of the problem -

And a quick look on Amazon found this product with loads of glowing reviews, which I know doesn't necessarily mean a lot but I think is definitely worth more investigation: Amazon.com: Enhanced Athlete Arachidonic Acid - Muscle and Strength Booster - Preserve Muscle and Boost Protein Synthesis - 350mg x 120 Capsules: Health & Personal Care

So is it possible that boosting my arachidonic acid levels could help both my immune system and energy/endurance? Any ideas anyone? (It sounds too good to be true! )

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
So is it possible that boosting my arachidonic acid levels could help both my immune system and energy/endurance? Any ideas anyone? (It sounds too good to be true! )
My levels were almost too low to be measured. It would be interesting to know if this is common in our population. I remember at the time looking into supplementation but I didn’t do it and I don’t remember whether it was because I didn’t find a supplement that I trusted or that I found other reasons not to supplement it. Please post about it if you learn more as this is something interesting.

Mary

Moderator Resource
My levels were almost too low to be measured. It would be interesting to know if this is common in our population. I remember at the time looking into supplementation but I didn’t do it and I don’t remember whether it was because I didn’t find a supplement that I trusted or that I found other reasons not to supplement it. Please post about it if you learn more as this is something interesting.
Very interesting @Sushi that your levels were so low! that's a good question - I wonder if it is common in our population. I have a phone appointment with my doctor tomorrow to go over lab results and I'll ask her what she knows, if anything, about arachidonic acid. And I will post about it if and when I learn more. The last thing in the world I need to do is spend more money on supplements! :aghhh: . . . but - always a but! - this may be worth it.

I'm going to tag @Hip here just for general purposes, because he knows so much about so many things!

ljimbo423

So my doctor checked my omega 3 and omega 6 levels, all were within range, albeit on the low side of normal, except for my arachidonic acid, which was 3.8, out of a range of 5.2 - 12.9%, so definitely low!

Do you eat a lot of meat Mary? I did a little googling and it looks like meat is a good source of AA. I eat over a half a pound of meat a day (mostly very lean meat) so I should have good levels of AA. I hope!

Mary

Moderator Resource
Do you eat a lot of meat Mary? I did a little googling and it looks like meat is a good source of AA. I eat over a half a pound of meat a day (mostly very lean meat) so I should have good levels of AA. I hope!
I don't eat a lot of meat (beef) Trying to think what I do eat! Fish maybe 2 x a week, chicken 2x or even 3 x a week, and then beef maybe 2 x a week. Huh - this is interesting. My doctor I think is pretty knowledgeable - I'm going to ask her about this. But the fact that my level isn't even in the normal range makes me think that perhaps I might need a supplement, at least short-term. I like beef, so don't object to eating it! I'll have to look up other good food sources as well.

You could get a blood test done - that would be interesting to see what your AA levels are, when combined with the amount of meat (I'm assuming beef?) you eat -

ljimbo423

You could get a blood test done - that would be interesting to see what your AA levels are, when combined with the amount of meat (I'm assuming beef?) you eat -

I really do need to get some testing done. I haven't seen a doctor in years.

I actually eat some form of lean chicken (usually boneless chicken breast or chicken fingers), a hamburger (80% lean) and some form of lean pork (like pork tenderloin or center cut boneless chops) every day. I have 3.5 - 4 ounces of meat with every meal.

I hope I'm not protein deficient.;)

But the fact that my level isn't even in the normal range makes me think that perhaps I might need a supplement, at least short-term.

Nothing wrong with a good supplement. I take few myself.:):wide-eyed:

Wolfcub

I was
I knew nothing about AA, and read it's an omega 6 fatty acid, can cause inflammation but is also needed for a healthy immune response and other things.
I was just wondering @Mary ....this is off the top of my head as I don't know anything at all about AA.

But I wonder if anything you were taking recently for the sinus infection might have lowered the natural AA in your system?

Was this a standard blood test or a NutrEval test?

Mary

Moderator Resource
I was just wondering @Mary ....this is off the top of my head as I don't know anything at all about AA.

But I wonder if anything you were taking recently for the sinus infection might have lowered the natural AA in your system?
@Wolfcub - that's an interesting question. To be honest, this is the first I've heard of AA - a look at Wikipedia says:
Arachidonic acid is a polyunsaturated fatty acid present in the phospholipids (especially phosphatidylethanolamine, phosphatidylcholine, and phosphatidylinositides) of membranes of the body's cells, and is abundant in the brain, muscles, and liver. Skeletal muscle is an especially active site of arachidonic acid retention, accounting for roughly 10-20% of the phospholipid fatty acid content typically.[5]
I don't think herbal remedies generally lower fatty acids, though of course it's possible. But - being low in AA could explain some of my symptoms. It's apparently quite important for a lot of things - also from Wikipedia:
Among other things, arachidonic acid helps to maintain hippocampal cell membrane fluidity.[25] It also helps protect the brain from oxidative stress by activating peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma.[26]

Was this a standard blood test or a NutrEval test?
Regular blood work from Quest Labs - "Omega 3 (EPA + DHA) Index Report" - I wouldn't call it a standard blood test because it's not part of regular annual blood work, but it's testing any doctor can order.

Hip

So is it possible that boosting my arachidonic acid levels could help both my immune system and energy/endurance?

I don't know much about arachidonic acid, but a quick Google shows that it is inflammatory / immune stimulating. AA levels are were found high in ME/CFS, according to one study. High levels are also associated with depression.

The anti-inflammatory effects of COX inhibitors (like ibuprofen and aspirin) are mediated by inhibiting cyclooxygenase (COX), an enzyme which converts arachidonic acid into prostaglandins.

Wolfcub

Commonality: I eat no red meat and fish and chicken a couple of times a week each. I was totally vegetarian for 30 years.
I was also vegetarian for a long time. I even went vegan about 2012 for about 2 years, but gave that up for selfish reasons (not ill at the time so not for nutritional reasons)
I now eat all sorts of fish, and eggs a lot. Both really suit my digestion (which can be a bit iffy sometimes, so some veggie proteins I now find hard to digest) But I am OK with nuts.
I tried to start eating meat again and couldn't really do it. I didn't like the taste.