• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Love and hate for vitamin B6

Just an anecdote -- in individuals without pyroluria, taking unnecessary B6 supplements can be dangerous. I would encourage anyone who suspects a deficiency to get a serum B6 test first. Symptoms of deficiency are similar to those of toxicity. The United States' upper tolerable limit is actually very high compared to other countries. Most of us get plenty of this vitamin from diet, especially if one eats meat. High, and even modestly high doses of B6 can cause toxicity symptoms in certain individuals, such as small fiber nerve damage. Generally this can be reversed, but it can take years to resolve after stopping supplementation. Just a word of caution, as this happened to me, and I've found many others through support groups who experienced devastating effects.
Are you referring to pyridoxine or p5p? I thought only Pyridoxine can cause nerve damage.

Learner1

Are you referring to pyridoxine or p5p? I thought only Pyridoxine can cause nerve damage.
You're correct.

Additionally, it is important to test B6 levels. Some of us, due to genetics, toxicity, oxudative stress, oxalates, and overactivity of any of the 100+ pathways that use B6 can be quite deficient in B6 and need as much as 7mg per gram of bodyweight without experiencing toxicity.