• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Losing fragrance free options. Help bring it back!

Dainty

While many of us avoid antiperspirants due to aluminum concerns, I've encountered others who prefer antiperspirants and cannot give them up for a fragrance free environment.

I used to mention Tom's Of Maine's unscented antiperspirant as the only option I could recommend without hesitation. But I just heard back from them today that the product has been discontinued due to insufficient consumer demand.

This effectively forces folks to choose between sweating or going fragrance free. And you know that given the option, many would not choose the sweat! That leaves us choking on the fragrance and them without a solution they're happy with.

Please consider writing Tom's of Maine to share your disappointment with their decision to discontinue it. If you or someone you know would use unscented antiperspirant if it was available, make sure to mention that. Also, let them know if you're already a Tom's of Maine customer and how their decision affects your feelings towards the company.

I think if we show them there's a demand for it, they might reconsider. Who's with me?

Here's their contact form: https://www.tomsofmaine.com/contact-us

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Thanks for the info.

I was going to recommend my brand which does have aluminum but I don't use it often, however when I went to make sure it is still available, alas, they have discontinued it too. :(

As a fallback, I did read on Milk of Magnesia reviews once that people who didn't want to use the aluminum antiperspirants were using that instead. They said it worked just the same. I haven't had to try it yet but will if I can't find something else.

Dainty

Thanks for the info.

I was going to recommend my brand which does have aluminum but I don't use it often, however when I went to make sure it is still available, alas, they have discontinued it too. :(

As a fallback, I did read on Milk of Magnesia reviews once that people who didn't want to use the aluminum antiperspirants were using that instead. They said it worked just the same. I haven't had to try it yet but will if I can't find something else.

Thanks, Judee! I used to use milk of magnesia as a natural deodorant, I didn't realize some use it as an antiperspirant as it didn't work for me that way. :/

Thankfully there are a lot of fragrance free deodorants out there, but I'm building my consulting business on helping people find fragrance free alternatives that match their product preferences/features and antiperspirant is a tough one!

valentinelynx

I use the "Thai Rock" deodorant type. It is made of pure potassium alum, has no fragrance, is non-toxic, incredibly cheap and lasts forever (unless you drop the rock and break it, which I inevitably end up doing).

To use it, you just moisten the lump of crystal and rub it on your armpits. For me it works great. Technically, it's not an antiperspirant: it doesn't decrease your sweating, but prevents odor (by preventing bacterial growth, I imagine).

Here's an Amazon link if you want to give it a try (for $7).

I've used this stuff for many years now. I can't tolerate fragrances either, and found that even "unscented" antiperspirants had fragrance in them. The true fragrance-free stuff became harder and harder to find. So, when I discovered the Thai rock stuff, I've never turned back.

Hope this helps.

perchance dreamer

I use coconut oil as a deodorant. It works great. I live in TX, where we have hot summers. That time of year I mix a little baking soda into the coconut oil. But in the not-hot months, plain coconut oil works fine for me.

I have fragrance sensitivities, too, but food smells don't bother me. Anyway, once I apply the coconut oil, I can't smell it at all. It just takes a little bit.

Wishful

Many of the so-marketed 'aluminum-free' antiperspirants, such as 'natural Tibetan crystal' or whatever it's called, also contain aluminum salts as the active ingredient. Alum is aluminum sulphate. However, as Tally pointed out, there's no evidence that aluminum-based antiperspirants are a health hazard.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I use plain baking soda. Just dampen it a little and smear it on, it works great! (and is cheap!)
I use coconut oil as a deodorant. It works great. I live in TX, where we have hot summers. That time of year I mix a little baking soda into the coconut oil. But in the not-hot months, plain coconut oil works fine for me.
I'll have to give the coconut oil a try - we have hot summers where I live too!

Gingergrrl

@Dainty I don't know if this is a viable option but I use "Almay Sensitive Skin" deodorant which is fragrance-free and dye-free. You can get it in regular stores like CVS or on Amazon.

perchance dreamer

@Judee, I use the same coconut oil that I use in cooking. I've never bought a coconut deodorant because plain coconut oil works so well for me.

It has never stained my clothes. You don't have to apply much.

perchance dreamer

This thread makes me think of a Calvin Trillin quote. Today, one of our Sunday papers has a bulk ration of scented advertisements, which DH was kind enough to whisk away from me.

"The question about those aromatic advertisements that perfume companies are having stitched into magazines these days is this: Under the freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment, is smelling up the place a constitutionally protected form of expression?"

Gingergrrl

Today, one of our Sunday papers has a bulk ration of scented advertisements

I no longer get the paper or any magazines but I used to HATE this (even before I was sick). Scented advertisements drive me nuts.

"The question about those aromatic advertisements that perfume companies are having stitched into magazines these days is this: Under the freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment, is smelling up the place a constitutionally protected form of expression?"

LOL :_ and great quote!

Dainty

@Dainty I don't know if this is a viable option but I use "Almay Sensitive Skin" deodorant which is fragrance-free and dye-free. You can get it in regular stores like CVS or on Amazon.

Thanks, @Gingergrrl ! Due to you're response and man others from my FB post I now have several to try out and steer folks towards. So far in my testing Almay's antiperspirant is stronger smelling than others but still seems to be a viable option. Thanks a bunch!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I found one more brand here and this one has a deodorant or deodorant/antiperspirant options. :)

Both are also gluten free in case people are looking for something like that.