• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Loosing Weight when Hypothyroid

xploit316

Hi everyone, I just wanted to hear if anyone here has lost weight being hypothyroid while not taking any thyroid meds. I have been hypo with CFS for past 4 years, and loosing weight has been an herculean task for me. I have tried various diets ( Keto, low carb), exercise routines (though now I only walk for 1.5 hrs everyday) and rest adequately, but nothing seems to move the needle in my case. Max I can loose is around 5 pounds with a diet of low protein, low fat, low fructose but I gain those pounds back in no time. I would be really happy to hear success stories of someone who had been in my situation and lost weight. Thank you

Irat

Hi everyone, I just wanted to hear if anyone here has lost weight being hypothyroid while not taking any thyroid meds. I have been hypo with CFS for past 4 years, and loosing weight has been an herculean task for me. I have tried various diets ( Keto, low carb), exercise routines (though now I only walk for 1.5 hrs everyday) and rest adequately, but nothing seems to move the needle in my case. Max I can loose is around 5 pounds with a diet of low protein, low fat, low fructose but I gain those pounds back in no time. I would be really happy to hear success stories of someone who had been in my situation and lost weight. Thank you
Hi,you might want to look into reay peat work about hypothyroidism,lots of it also on you tube and on his own web site https://raypeat.com/

but this podcast summarises good informations pretty well on causes,diet,weight loss etc

https://www.hipcast.com/podcast/HsYp4VJ4

xploit316

Thank you. I have checked his forum and used some of their forum members ideas. Not helped me personally.

Woof!

How old are you and what body type do you have? Is your extra weight evenly distributed or mostly hanging off of your belly?

I'm hypothyroid (thyroids irradiated several decades ago), and I take 100mcg L-thyroxin daily (starch-free formula, which can be hard to find).

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Im guessing on T4, if so talk to your dr about adding T3 as you may not be converting T4 to T3 the active form of thyroid.
Then look at other hormones like cortisol and dhea, if low can effect thyroid function negatively.

xploit316

How old are you and what body type do you have? Is your extra weight evenly distributed or mostly hanging off of your belly?

I'm hypothyroid (thyroids irradiated several decades ago), and I take 100mcg L-thyroxin daily (starch-free formula, which can be hard to find).

Im 35 y.o 189cms in height and weight 107 kgs. Visceral fat type (No loose skin just big belly and waist, and water retention around face and rest of body). I didnt go the medicine way to fix my thyroid thinking the natural "good diet and healthy lifestyle" will help and it did, but loosing weight with thyroid medication may be very difficult (impossible perhaps?). So wanted to hear people's experiences.

Woof!

Im 35 y.o 189cms in height and weight 107 kgs. Visceral fat type (No loose skin just big belly and waist, and water retention around face and rest of body).

Okay, so we have vastly different body types and I take daily L-thyroxin. Still, maybe something in my situation may apply. I'm 162 cms and 50.8kg, and I reached the age of 60 without extra weight. Suddenly and within a 2-month time frame, I gained 8 kg. I felt bloated and absolutely horrible - that was more than a 15% weight gain on my frame. Interestingly, it was mostly around my middle, like a paunch. I decided then to stop ignoring what a muscle therapist was telling me and to follow her advice - eliminate all meat and dairy. Really?!!
I considered myself to be a firm carnivore. Any time before when I tried a vegetarian lifestyle, I got really sick (lots of migraines). That and I considered cheese to be a gift from the Gods...

She explained how our bodies and gut biomes change with time, and that we did best when we changed our diet to reflect that. I was thoroughly tired of carrying the extra weight so I gave no-meat/no-dairy a try for a short time. The weight melted off quickly and surprisingly I didn't get any migraines. To prove I needed to stay off meat and dairy, I ate a little for a few days...and the weight quickly returned to my belly, so no more meat or dairy for me (and honestly, I don't miss them because I cook with lots of fresh herbs and spices).

This may or may not help you, but if it does...excellent! Good luck!