• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Loose stools fixed with Minocycline

pattismith

I have daily loose stool since I started iron supplementation 11 month ago.

Within two days of Minocycline antibiotic, I realized this issue was suddenly totally fixed, without any change in my diet or supplementation.

I take probiotic bifidobacterium Longum for some weeks but didn't see any difference before starting minocycline.

I found this 2011 study about effect of Minocycline in colitis, I don't know if it's related to my own experience though:

The intestinal anti-inflammatory effect of minocycline in experimental colitis involves both its immunomodulatory and antimicrobial properties - ScienceDirect

The results revealed that minocycline exerted an intestinal anti-inflammatory effect when administered as a curative treatment in the TNBS model, modulating both immune and microbiological parameters, being confirmed in the DSS model; whereas none of the other antibiotics tested (tetracycline and metronidazole) showed anti-inflammatory effect.

StudiesTrusted Source show iron supplements can worsen inflammation in the digestive tract. This makes Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis symptoms worse.

Iron supplements can cause digestive side effects, including cramping, nausea, diarrhea, and constipation, even if you’re in remission.

Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s, and Anemia: What's the Link? (healthline.com)

Oral iron exacerbates colitis and influences the intestinal microbiome - PMC (nih.gov)

LINE

Great story, thanks for posting.

Minocycline was the right antibiotic for what you had growing in your gut.

Iron is actually used by the microbes to help build biofilms which is not good. I have read that the body will put iron into storage to prevent this from happening, this is why people are pale looking when sick.

Last edited:

LINE

Interdependence between iron acquisition and biofilm formation in Pseudomonas aeruginosa - PMC (nih.gov)

Bacterial biofilms remain a persistent threat to human health-care due to their role in the development of antimicrobial resistance. To combat multi-drug resistant pathogens, it is crucial to enhance our understanding of not only the regulation of biofilm formation, but also its contribution to bacterial virulence. Iron acquisition lies at the crux of these two subjects. In this review, we discuss the role of iron acquisition in biofilm formation and how hosts impede this mechanism to defend against pathogens. We also discuss recent findings that suggest that biofilm formation can also have the reciprocal effect, influencing siderophore production and iron sequestration.