• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for noise canceling headphones

Looking for noise canceling headphones which don't make a crackling noise after a couple of weeks
Probably due to the plastic casing
Tried the Sony WH-1000XM3 and the Sony WH-XB910N
Both good enough noise canceling, but both made the crackling noise after a couple of weeks
The edifier one had bad noise canceling

Know there is are Apple Airpods Max which are made primarily of metal, but those are expensive

Diwi9

Administrator
I have Bose Quiet Comfort 35 II, I have had the 25 series. I believe there are now a 45 series out. Not cheap, but they work and I wear headphones for most of the day. They don't just help with blocking sound, but with sensory processing issues as I can focus on the sound I want to. You might be able to find some of the older series at cheaper prices since new models have been released.

Thanks @Diwi9
You wear them most of the day, you're bedridden?
I believe the lying down with the headset on is the cause of the crackling noise

I see the 45 series contains metal, interesting

Diwi9

Administrator
Thanks @Diwi9
You wear them most of the day, you're bedridden?
I believe the lying down with the headset on is the cause of the crackling noise

I see the 45 series contains metal, interesting
No, I am not bedridden, but I wear my headphones most of the day and sleep with them. I replace the pads every few months and use replaceable covers for the pads. I change the covers every time I shower. This is my regular thing, for six years now.

BrightCandle

I have a set of the Bose Quietcomfort 35s, the original ones. The noise cancelling is pretty good, the pressure isn't at all bad and they do a fantastic job of reducing noise. Where I think they fall short is in their musical qualities, typical Bose with no highs and no lows but that does make them very easy to listen to. Back in the day when I was still walking around the world the Bluetooth used to suffer intereference and cut out in built up areas, but that is bluetooth and its never been a problem inside my house. I also find the voice commands pretty hit or miss, but its fair from essential.

I recently used them to move house, laid down on the floor with a pillow with my QC35s on and just listened to vagus nerve soothing music all day, barely heard the people moving house around me.

RYO

Try Soundcore Q35 made by Anker. They are comfortable and noise canceling is good. Also affordable.

wabi-sabi

I also use the Bose Quiet Comfort. I've slept in them every night for years, so they are very comfy. Noise cancellation is good for things like traffic noise, but less good for voices. I don't listen to music, so I can't give any advice on that part.

mattie

Airpods pro are awesome. I use one of them when side sleeping. Must fit your ears, they are not for everyone.
Airpods max even better, but only when upright. Great sound great NC. Expensive but sometimes on sale.

QC 35 also good NC but sound quality not as good.