• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking at three Docs in Northern California

N

Niceguy

Hello All

I have been on the Methylation Protocol for two years now and have had significant improvement
But it is not enough
Now I have to address a possible comorbidity be it lyme,hormones,XMRV,EBV ETC

So I will probably need a Doc

Here are my choices

Dr Powell in Sacramento
Dr Shaw in Los Altos
Dr Neil Nathan in Santa Rosa

Are there any comments from any of you on these guys?

Thanks in Advance for your comments

Thanks

NG

InvertedTree

I've heard good things about Dr. Nathan-you can look at his profile on the Gordon Medical Associates website. I haven't heard anything about Dr. Shaw and I've heard mixed reviews about Dr. Powell.

My vote, since you are considering lyme, hormones, etc... is Dr. Nathan.

JAH

Hi niceguy,

I have seen 2 doctors in Shaw's office, but not him. I think you would get lyme and hormones from him. They do a lot of nutritional therapies at their office. It's expensive, and honestly, I am more sick than when I first went there-- so I wish you the best, but a lot of cfs treatment is a waste of time. Lyme is also an area that I would be cautious with- I have had a similar experience to Dr. deckoff-jones, except that I decided against the IV antibiotics- which was one of my few good choices I've made in treating this disease. Check out her article on chronic lyme, http://treatingxmrv.blogspot.com/2010/05/thoughts-about-chronic-lyme-disease.html

Don't mean to be negative- just giving my honest experience. If I were you I would seriously consider Dr. Montoya at Stanford. (if you can get in- I know there is a waiting list) you could be a part of his studies--and my understanding is that he thinks cfs is some type of infection, so I think he would go that route in treatment. Montoya's patients would know more than me...just my 2 cents,
good luck,

JAH

N

Niceguy

I would like a Doc that can do a range of tests and tell me what I need
I don't want to go from Doc to Doc for this problem and that problem etc
You know what I mean?

*GG*

Co cure listed?:

How come this is the only person listed in Co-cure?

Michael J. Powell, D.O.
Fibromyalgia Treatment & Learning Center
650 University Avenue, Suite 200
Sacramento, CA 95825
Tel: 916-922-8400
(Fellowship, Stanford Division of Immunology & Rheumatology
Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology.
"I highly recommend him for not just CFS or ME, but also for other hard to diagnose illness.")

*GG*

I would like a Doc that can do a range of tests and tell me what I need
I don't want to go from Doc to Doc for this problem and that problem etc
You know what I mean?

I do, but I think it might be best with this illness, this is what I do, am feeling better than I was years ago!

NK17

@Wilted_Iris I second what @JAH had said about Dr. Montoya at Stanford if he wasn't booked for the next 3 years ....

I presume you can't wait that long, besides the fact that to see him you'll need a referral from another Md with medical labs that have already excluded many other conditions.

I'm a patient of Dr. Kogelnik's clinic (Open Medicine Institute) and can't say anything bad about him, there is some room for improvement in the management of the office, but nothing major or that is not understandable considering how involved and engaged he is in real research.

He doesn't accept any insurance plan though so he might not be what you're looking for.

There is also a "new" doctor working with him and I've heard great things about him, his name is David Kaufman. I think he is quite knowledgeable in Lyme treatment, but since I don't have LD I did not look deeper into the matter.

Don't know if Dr. Kaufman accepts any insurance plan or not and/or Medicare.

I've an acquaintance that had good results with a doctor in Petaluma:
Brian Bouch MD. He prescribed the Montoya/Kogelnik antiviral protocol for high EBV and HHV6 titers, but I don't know your personal case and can't judge if he might be the right match for you, nor do I have personal contact with him.

From a preliminary web search it seems that Dr. Bouch accepts Medicare, but you'll need to double check.

Good luck with your search for a good doctor and with your health.

If you luck out and find another ME/CFS jem, please share the info with us ;)!

Last edited:
@Wilted_Iris I second what @JAH had said about Dr. Montoya at Stanford if he wasn't booked for the next 3 years ....

I presume you can't wait that long, besides the fact that to see him you'll need a referral from another Md with medical labs that have already excluded many other conditions.

I'm a patient of Dr. Kogelnik's clinic (Open Medicine Institute) and can't say anything bad about him, there is some room for improvement in the management of the office, but nothing major or that is not understandable considering how involved and engaged he is in real research.

He doesn't accept any insurance plan though so he might not be what you're looking for.

There is also a "new" doctor working with him and I've heard great things about him, is name is David Kaufman. I think he is quite knowledgeable in Lyme treatment, but since I don't have LD I did not look deeper into the matter.

Don't know if Dr. Kaufman accepts any insurance plan or not and/or Medicare.

I've an acquaintance that had good results with a doctor in Petaluma:
Brian Bouch MD. He prescribed the Montoya/Kogelnik antiviral protocol for high EBV and HHV6 titers, but I don't know your personal case and can't judge if he might be the right match for you, nor do I have personal contact with him.

From a preliminary web search it seems that Dr. Bouch accepts Medicare, but you'll need to double check.

Good luck with your search for a good doctor and with your health.

If you luck out and find another ME/CFS jem, please share the info with us ;)!
Of course, of course....I'll share gladly. I wish I had a memory I don't recall if Kogelnik used to take Medicare but I'll check with Kaufman. Bouche I've never heard of that name, but I like saying it. So just from a web search eh?

The situation at Fibro Clinic is not resolved so I dare not speak of it, yet. It's sad that in addition to dealing w/exhaustion we should be subjected to bureaucratic BS but it's ALL just part of life along with the good stuff. Still...Grrrrrr AND back to my happy place

I should have signed up with Montoya's clinic 2 or 3 years ago when I first heard of him. Is he Cuban? I can cook a mean Ropa Vieja or Arroz con Pollo con Tostones. Maybe the way to a Doc's clinic is through his stomach? At this rate I would put fruit on my head & shake maracas if it would get me into his clinic but I'm too tired.

IreneF

I should have signed up with Montoya's clinic 2 or 3 years ago when I first heard of him. Is he Cuban? I can cook a mean Ropa Vieja or Arroz con Pollo con Tostones. Maybe the way to a Doc's clinic is through his stomach? At this rate I would put fruit on my head & shake maracas if it would get me into his clinic but I'm too tired.

Montoya's from South America. Colombia, I believe. I have no idea what he likes to eat. He did his residency at Tulane, so maybe he likes gumbo.

NK17

Dr. Jose Gilberto Montoya is Colombian ;)

IreneF

I have fantasies about traveling. I'd like to go to Colombia. Most of the country is high enough that the climate isn't hot and humid, but it has coasts on the Pacific and the Caribbean. It's got Spanish Colonial architecture, Indian ruins, and good food ( so I've read).